Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7/Win Serv2k3 Dual boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

Yeah... I should probably know this....

Installed Win Serv 2003 along side with Win 7. 7 Was installed first so I had to overwrite the boot loader to get back into Win7. Now of course then I can't get back into Winserver2003 so I try load up EasyBCD and edit the menu entry for Winsever 2003 and no matter what the configuration I can't seem to get it booting.

It keeps pointing the bootloader to \NST\ntldr. I do not know if this is the correct boot loader or not.

I know that my W2k3 drive lettering system is weird, it doesn't see 'C' as the root drive, it set 'E' as the root drive for some reason. (I think it labeled the system reserve partition as C and Win7 as D so E was the next choice.) How ever it shows up as F from windows 7.

I tried to set up a Ubuntu partition for some linux development and because Grub handles booting so much more easily.... But issues with Ubuntu installation.... Yeah... I have an extra un-formatted 64GB partition floating around.

NOTE: I have an SSD as my primary boot device for Win7, Win2k3 is NOT on that SSD! It is on the 1 TB mechanical drive. I am sure this is where the problem is originating.

If I have confused anyone of my setup here is a better way to show my drives and install:

Primary Drive: SSD

part1 /System Reserve/ - 100MB
part2 /C:/ - 113.14GB (Windows 7 is installed here.)

Secondary Drive: Mechanical

part1 /D:/ - 806.51GB (Windows 7 applications etc.)
part2 /Unpartitioned/ - 62.5GB
part3 /F:/ - 62.49GB (Windows 2k3 is here)

Anyone got any ideas?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

Aha! I got it like 5 seconds after posting this thread. That is how it always works.

For those with a similar issue, do not mess with what drive it assigns to the bootloader, it assigned it to Windows 7's C drive which was what was throwing me off. EasyBCD created a C:\NST\ntldr specifically for my Win2k3 install.

I guess that will teach me to have these complex boot setups. zZz
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users