Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question on upgrading from XP to Win7

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 yodastreet

yodastreet

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

Hello!

My dad recently bought a used computer running Windows XP SP3. I happen to be eligible for a free Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade courtesy of my university, so I'm planning on upgrading his computer and doing a Custom installation as I would be going from 32-bit XP to 64-bit Win7. (The components are all 64-bit compatible.)

One possible problem, though, is that this computer has two physical hard drives divided into a total of four partitions. C: and E: report 48.8GB capacity each, while D: is 228GB and E: has 135GB. (I'm not really sure why the previous owner chose to do this - it's a machine from a public PC cafe.) I haven't done an OS upgrade before, so I'm not sure how the process would be different or what would happen if I try to upgrade in this situation. Some quick Googling only revealed conflicting reports.

I'm not worried about keeping the partitions at all - if the upgrade just leaves it with two unpartitioned drives, that's totally fine. But I guess my question is: do I need to do anything special when upgrading this machine? Does the fact that it's going from 32bit to 64bit introduce any complications? Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

You can't "upgrade" from 32 to 64 bit. The only way to install the 64 bit would be to do a full install (it will format your current C drive partition). Another option would be to install Windows 7 on a different partition and have a dual boot system. Again, it will format which ever partition you choose, so make sure you have moved all of the data you want to keep off of it first.

#3 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

No problem just back up your all your stuff(music,photo's,documents) on External hard drive or usb drive ect.Format as NTFS and remove all the partitions on the spare drive while xp is still working, then swap out the O/S drive with the newly formatted spare drive or a new drive.Don't reinstall the old O/S drive until after you have installed Windows 7 64bit,then you can install and format the old O/S drive and set it up the way you like. Check out this link How to clean install with upgrade media So yes it is possible to go from 32bit to 64bit you just have to do a clean install, with XP its basically a clean install anyway.When I bought my W7 upgrade it came with both the 32bit and the 64bit disks.Post back with any problems or questions good luck, Cheers

Edited by sleepwalker, 23 August 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

From XP...you have to do a clean install, anyway...or a dual-boot. There is no real "upgrade" path from XP to Win 7...the Win 7 upgrade versions result in a clean install of Win 7 on an XP system.

Louis

#5 yodastreet

yodastreet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

Thank you for the replies. I should clarify that I did mean clean install when I said "upgrade". I'm not sure if The_Outkast and sleepwalker are suggesting different things. So if I simply do a clean install on C (without doing anything else like removing partitions or drives), would that be sufficient? Or do I need to physically remove one of the drives?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

You need to leave the drive reflecting XP...the upgrade version of Win 7 will check for it.

Beyond that, it's up to you regarding partitions, etc. I suggest that you install XP on one drive, Win 7 on another and run a dual-boot for awhile...then get rid of XP, if you like. Doing this will also enable you to do an accurate comparison of the two and not even have to move data files other than at your leisure.

As for partitions...you can modify those at any time, the only thing to be concerned with at this point is that you have sufficient free space (not partition) for the Win 7 install. The install routine will create a partition from the free space automatically.

I disconnect other hard drives temporarily...when I do a Windows install...I try to keep the install as routine as possible.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2012 - 02:32 PM.

#7 yodastreet

yodastreet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

Each partition right now has enough free space for Win7 install. Okay... since XP is installed on C right now, I'll leave everything in and attempt to install Win7 on the physical drive that does not contain C. (Perhaps I'll just get rid of the partitions on that drive during the install.) And go for the dual-boot option. Thank you all for the helpful comments. I'll make sure to post back with further questions and/or results.

#8 yodastreet

yodastreet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

Okay, Win7 is installed and the machine now has dual boot. Looks like everything went without a hitch. Thank you for the comments again!

Oh, one last question: when I decide to get rid of XP in the future, all I'd need to do is just format the drive with XP on it, correct?

#9 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

Thats right then you can set up the drive the way you want.You can create directories,or partitions for storing Disk images,music,documents,photos use your imagination and have fun. Legally you are not supposed to use XP after you install Windows7 upgrade. Cheers

Edited by sleepwalker, 30 August 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

<<...when I decide to get rid of XP in the future, all I'd need to do is just format the drive with XP on it, correct?>>

Well...you may have to modify the Win 7 bootloader to XP from appearing as a boot option, I don't know. If you do, you can use EasyBCD to simplify such.

<<Legally you are not supposed to use XP after you install Windows7>>

I don't agree with that interpretation...since the "upgrade" isn't really an upgrade of the same O/S and system...but I don't work for Microsoft and I'm not a lawyer so I cannot flatly deny such. The upgrade version of Win 7...is just an easy means to allow XP users to install Win 7 without paying a premium, it doesn't/cannot change/build on the existing XP system...as a regular upgrade version of Windows would. All I know is that the same system will pass PA with both XP and Win 7 installed.

OEM (Dell, HP, etc.) systems play by different rules, with the OEM upgrade option eliminating the ability of user to double-boot, I believe.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 August 2012 - 12:19 PM.

#11 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

Here's an excerpt from a article on ZDnet by Ed Bott clean install with Windows7 upgrade media

<<"You have Windows XP or Windows Vista on your current PC and you want to use Windows 7 on a separate partition as a dual-boot machine. You do not qualify for an upgrade license. Refer back to the previous wording in Section 2 about a hardware partition being a separate device. The Windows 7 license agreement covers this in Section 14: "Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.">>

Here's a link to the full Article Clean Install with Windows7 upgrade Media

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users