Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Please?? What hardware to use.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 newbie320

newbie320

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

Hello,

I am looking to transfer my large sd video collection to a hard drive and connect to my wired network so I can play the videos on all the tv's in my home. I have 3 sony blu ray players hooked up to 3 tv's via wired ethernet connections.

I was thinking of getting a wireless router with gigabit ethernet ports and a usb to connect the ext hard drive thru to accomplish this, but have heard that would be very slow.

Is this the way I should do this? If not what are some better suggestions that I could use to stream the files from the ext hard drive to the blue ray players via wired ethernet connection.

I am stumped. So any help is greatly appreciated...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

Depending on how much you want to spend, I would recommend NAS (network attached storage) device with a gigabit (or 2 if you want) port. Connect it to your wired network and you will get much better performance than from a usb device connected to a wireless router.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

I've done as The_Outkast says and have two NAS drives on my network I can put video on or off them from the computer, My media player can play the video from them as can my BluRay player.

If worried about durability Western digital for example sells models with two drives that can be set up striped or mirrored their 2TB version is either 2Tb striped or 1Tb mirrored. Mirrored means that the same file is on both drives, striped means that the file is spread across both drives. Striped also increases the risk of losing everything. With striped if either drive goes bad everything is lost. With mirrored if one drive goes bad the other one is still working.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 newbie320

newbie320
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

Okay thanks. My sd movies range from 4 to 5gb each. When transfering them to mp4 what file size should I shoot for. Should I stay with 4 or 5gb or is it okay to go lower in mp4 format. I will be streaming my video collection to a 40" and 47" lcd tv's. Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users