Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Flash Drive Not Working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ultra89

ultra89

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

I am having some trouble with my (almost) new USB flash drive. This particular drive fits very loosely into USB ports and has a very short connector.

I plugged it into my computer (which was booted into Ubuntu 12.04 at the time) and noticed that it appeared to be working just fine. I then opened Disk Utility and attempted to run a read/write benchmark on the new flash drive. The benchmark started off normal. However, before the benchmark could finish, Disk Utility returned an error about not being able to access a sector (or something along those lines). I assumed that the drive had somehow been disconnected from the computer, so I dismissed the error message. After noticing that the drive appeared neither in Nautilus nor Disk Utility, I decided to unplug it and try again. This time, nothing happened when I plugged the drive into the USB port. I noticed a somewhat inconspicuous red light (a status light, most likely) on the drive itself, but nothing on the computer (not in Disk Utility or Nautilus, at least). The same occurs when the drive is plugged into my other computer running Windows XP. Nothing about this disk appears in disk management, and device manager only shows USB root hubs and host controllers under USB.

I have heard of USB drives being permanently ruined by being unplugged during data transfer, but I have never personally experienced it before.

Does anyone here know what is wrong? Can it be fixed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:10 AM

It cannot be fixed but it can be replace as you are correct of any removable drives being unplugged while data activity is on going would bricked them. The least thing is you have backed up your personal files prior.

Tekken

#3 Alayder34

Alayder34

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

It sounds like the file system has been corrupted during the process..

There are a number of fake flash drives on the market (through secondary vendors on sites like eBay and Amazon) that rewrite the reported flash drive capacity to be larger than it actually is (more common on high capacity drives).

This is sometimes refered to as fake 'oversize capacity'

If i were to venture a guess, when you attempted to run the read/write benchmark it may have tried to access a portion of memory on the drive that didn't exist and potentially overwrote a part of the file system in the process.

You could go ahead and create a new files system on the drive ONLY IF you don't require the data on the drive. As this will reformat the flash drive and whatever files were on the drive will be lost.

If you need to recover any files or data off of a broken flash drive you can try a data recovery repair center such as fixmyflashdrive.com

Edited by Alayder34, 09 February 2013 - 11:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users