Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is causing my lag issues?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Turtle84

Turtle84

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

My system runs on Windows Vista 64bit home basic with 4 gigs of 1500mhz ddr3 ram, a Intel dual core processor at 3.33ghz and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 video card. I am connected to the internet through Verizon high speed internet and the modem/router combo they provided us with the service.
My issue is this, I play WoW pretty regularly and every time the phone rings or someone makes a phone call my connection lags terribly. Ive tried changing the channel the router is broadcasting on with no apparent changes. My loading screens seem to take longer than everyone else in my guild even when the phone is not active. The router and phones in my house operate on the 2.4ghz bandwidth which I suspect is the source of my grief. I just want a 2nd opinion before I go out to buy a new router. I'm also curious what I should look for in a router if it comes to that.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

Can you run a direct Ethernet cable to the computer either to use or for testing?
Even my laptops are hooked with a Ethernet cable. The other option is to get a dual band router. And use the 5Ghz for your gaming. This will most likely require a new 5Ghz wireless card for the computer as well as a new router.

It could be that the 2.4Ghz used by most routers is very busy where you are.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Turtle84

Turtle84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

I wish I could run a Ethernet line to my computer, I'd have to run it through several walls though which is a bit of a pita. I actually had to plug a Linksys AE1000 wireless adapter into my computer to go wireless. So I dont think switching to a 5ghz router would cause me any issues. I just wonder if it would alleviate my issues.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

This would seem to indicate it would help. So getting off the same band as the phone and the common routers should help.

and every time the phone rings or someone makes a phone call my connection lags terribly.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users