Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser Choice

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:22 PM

Dear all,

What are the main benefits of switching from IE6 to Firefox?

I used firefox once and was pretty happy overall, but couldnt see what the rave was about..some say there arent so many page missing errors with FFox and that firefox moves a bit more rapid.

Secondly,
My fiancee hates firefox and we use the same computer..

I as administrator set up her own account and was wondering if I installed firefox on my account, whether she would still be able to enjoy IE6 without any probs.

Also while returning any advice bear in mind that at this precise point in time the memory I have installed is not actually matched to my simple Dell Dimension 3000 motherboard which has been causing a few goofs here and there and has caused unacceptable behavior..I know its not malware as I have checked and its a new installation.

Many thanks
Darren

(Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 13 March 2006 - 11:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:26 PM

I do have intentions of installing the right memory and will buy from crucial.com but right now money is too tight to mention so I'm living with crap in my comp...just to save you guys the work of advising on my memory requirments...but I hope having two browsers running will not cause more probs...thanks again..:-)

#3 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:32 PM

Hey Darren De Wilde

There are a number of pros and cons which should be considered before deciding. Let me start by saying that i use both - IE for working and Firefox for recreational activities. Firstly FireFox is less prone to attack from hackers since most people, so far, aren't using FireFox - this makes it less popular for hackers to crack. In other words hackers devote their energies to the majority who use Internet Explorer not only because IE has security flaws which are open to exploitation but also because focusing on IE means they will reach a maximum number of victims with their hacks.

I myself had the same question as you a while back and collect these pros and cons off the net:

The good: Includes a pop-up blocker; takes advantage of built-in security within Windows XP SP2; selectively blocks ActiveX support.
The bad: Suffers from chronic security holes; no RSS reader; available only within Windows XP SP2; expensive technical support.
The bottom line: Unless your business has specific ActiveX technology needs, you are much more secure running Firefox than Internet Explorer.

One con is that FireFox is not a Microsoft product. There is always that nice feeling of using a non-Microsoft product. That's not a great reason IMO, but it sure helps that the safest, best browser is also NOT Microsoft. What makes me use FF for recreational stuff is that it offers tabbed browsing, which means that I can jump back and forth between different sites with only one window open and live bookmarks! I imagine that others will add their preferences but this is what i think.

David

#4 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:13 PM

Thanks so much for the input..:-)
We do real esate which means that we do have a couple of activex controls but I dont think we rely on them too much..so i guess I can have both browsers running at the same time then..?

Thank you again
Darren

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:05 PM

From my experience, Ff is certainly faster than IE6. And, since it is not a part of the Windows Operating System as is IE, it is inherently more secure, not to mention the fact that it doesn't use activeX controls. Again, Ff is very slim "out of the box", but there are a wealth of extensions (add-ons) that allow you to tailor it to suit your needs (one of which will switch you to IE at the tap of a finger for those sits (MS) which are not web standards compliant. From a functional standpoint, certainly Ff is more up-to-date and the folks at Mozilla generally issue a new version about four times a year (MS is once every four years and only when it is absolutely necessary); the same folks seem able to issue security patches in a more timely manner---serious problems can be patched in four or five DAYS.

I have Opera, Mozilla 1.7, and Firefox all installed in addition to IE, and use them all, though hardly all at once. There should be no problem having Ff and IE on the same computer.
My browser of choice continues to be Firefox, both for work and for play.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:24 PM

Thank you..I'll download it now...:-=)
You guys are brilliant..

#7 Kruncher

Kruncher

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:51 PM

Once you use tabs, you NEVER go back. It comes with a search box that doesn't take up as much real estate as IE toolbars do, and it allows you to add more search engines (all in one place). It is a more secure browser because its built with security in mind, not because it is used less than IE. Sure there may be patches and updates more often, but that is because its opensource, so bugs are found and fixed quicker.

Oh and plus I just did an installation of Windows XP SP1 plus all updates except SP2. I NEVER touched IE or OE, only using Firefox and Thunderbird. I do not run an anti-virus and I do not have any other malware protection. I have been running this setup for 6 months now. Recently I ran a general malware check (virus scan, spybot, ad-aware, and ewido), not a single thing popped up.
In contrast I tried this a while ago with out using anything from mozilla. I had to clean that thing up every week.
Sad MS...Just sad.

Just my 2 cents.

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:46 PM

Once you use tabs, you NEVER go back.

The next version of IE will have tabs.

We do real esate

Some web sites will only work with IE. For instance, some banking sites, or even some real estate sites.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#9 Kruncher

Kruncher

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:30 PM

Some web sites will only work with IE. For instance, some banking sites, or even some real estate sites.

Those are the site that I do not trust. If they only support something that is insecure, then I can't trust them with my personal information (plus it's not fair to lock users out, like people that use Linux).

I remember back in the katrina days, there was a site that you could register missing persons. The site only supported IE, it caused so many problems.

Go the extra mile and make your code work with like every browser known to man, or at least conform to standards.

Edited by Kruncher, 13 March 2006 - 09:31 PM.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:36 PM

IE is not inherently less secure than Firefox. It actually has less registered exploits found last year, but its disadvantage is that many more times the number of users are using it and therefore it is a larger target for the miscreants that take pleasure in destroying the property of others.

You have to use IE to get Windows updates and for most of the web based anti-malware scans to work.

Having both is no problem. I have been running both for a long time - first using Win 2k and now XP Pro.

By the way, if you haven't installed SP2 you are putting your computer at risk as well as all others on the internet, especially anyone in your address book. Ethically you should warn them so they can block your emails

SP2 is primarily a security update and critical to have, and running on the net without a resident AV program updated regularly is insane.

Edited by Enthusiast, 13 March 2006 - 10:39 PM.

#11 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:26 AM

Hi all,

I am in agreement with most about certain pros and cons, however, there has been an extension to rid Firefox of it's incompatibilities with sites that require IE. I have used it to update XP directly from Firefox, and have also used it at a couple other known ActiveX required sites, and so far so good. Funny thing is, I learned about it from a Microsoft web site.....haha!

Also, Beta2, and all the upcoming releases of IE7, are no longer using ActiveX.

I hands down choose Firefox myself, it's hard to beat all the possibilities that extensions have provided. With the use of MiniFox as a theme, I have over 50 extensions that I use consistantly, and still have twice the room as I would using IE with no where near the funtionality.

But, these are just my own preferences, and it all really comes down to what a person is comfortable with.

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users