Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection In safe mode only. Am I infected?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 quiznosBear

quiznosBear

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

A user came to me with a laptop that does not connect to the internet at all in normal mode. (Wired or wireless, DHCP or static IP, IPv4 or IPv6)
Connects to the network perfectly fine, but no internet connection.
Unless in safe mode then the internet works just fine. (which led me to think malware was the root of the problem)
Nothing else appears to be wrong/off; just lost internet connection.

disable/enable adapter... nothing
ipconfig /release /renew... nothing
ipconfig /dnsflush /dnsregister... nothing
Tried new drivers... nothing
reset winsock... nothing
Scanned with McAfee... Clean
Scanned with MBAM... Clean
rkill... clean
tdsskiller... clean
running a hjt now, but thought I would post here first and see if it may well be something else.

NOTE: If you think this should be posted in networking then let me know and i'll gladly create a new thread there. I will not post my HJT until recommended, and that will go into the appropriate thread :)

Thanks in advance for your help. I've been using this site for years, first time I couldn't find a fix and need to post.

Edited by quiznosBear, 22 August 2012 - 04:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

Uninstall your antivirus and let us know if you can connect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users