Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost/missing User Account

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 That Rascal

That Rascal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:11 PM

:thumbsup:

HEEEEELLLLP!

I went into user accounts in the control panel as "Administrator" (the only account on my machine). I created a new account with a different name -"Jeffy" ... This account was given administrator privleges, the same icon and the same log-on password.

I then logged out as "Administrator", by clicking "switch users" from the startbar. I got the welcome page, which now showed both accounts: "Administrator" AND "Jeffy"; I logged on as "Jeffy" and, of course, the desktop and all of the stuff on it was completely different than "Administrator"s. I wanted to go back and make those things sharable from the "Administrator" account and thats where the trouble began ...

When I did the "switch users" bit again from the startbar, the only account now showing on the welcome page is "Jeffy". There was/is no "Administrator" icon.

If I go into documents, it shows an "Administrator" folder, but I can't access it without "permission" ... If I go into "system" in the control panel and click on "users", the tree shows 2: "Administrator" and "Jeffy". If I go into "user accounts" in control panel and try to "edit users", it only shows "Jeffy" and not "Administrator".

But no matter what I do, I CAN NOT get this machine to let me log back on as "Administrator" ... Only "Jeffy".

I restarted, I searched every help file til 3 am ... no matter what, it will not give me a log on icon/password field for "Administrator".

What can I do to get back to my "Administrator" desktop and all my stuff?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:25 PM

I then logged out as "Administrator", by clicking "switch users" from the startbar

Switching users is not loggin out. You must 'Log Out' in order to be logged out.

So, when you reboot, do you see a list of accounts to choose from, or does Windows just start up? If it just starts up, what account does it start to?

Go to Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Change an account.

This should show you a list of accounts. Is Administrator and Jeffy listed there? If so, could you just delete Jeffy and get things back to normal?

I am trying to understand at what point the problem lies. Report back with more details as to what you see and what is happening.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 bradly

bradly

• Deactivated
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:30 PM

Try This:

Warning - Always backup your registry before making any changes.

Now, while in the registry (start - run - type regedit - click ok), navigate here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

Double-click the Administrator icon in the right pane. (If you don't see this icon, right-click in the pane, choose New, DWORD Value, name it Administrator, and press ENTER.)

Type 1 in the 'Value data' box, and press ENTER.

From now on, when you open the User Accounts window via the Control Panel you'll see the Administrator account - you will also see it at the Welcome Screen.
Shrinkwrapped - Free PC Therapy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users