Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Converters? So Many...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 newbie320

newbie320

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

Hello. I have two important questions: I have decided to transfer my dvd collection to a hard drive. Since these are SD videos what resolution should I convert them to. I was thinking 720x480 since they are SD? Also can anyone recommend a good free video converter for this purpose? There seem to be so many now a days.

My goal is to connect a external hard drive to my home network and watch my video collection through my blu ray players via hard wired connections. Really appreciate your help.Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

Handbrake http://handbrake.fr/

It can rip DVD and generate high quality MP4 or MKV files and more.

#3 ichiban1962

ichiban1962

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

Nearly correct, Handbrake is a freeware video converter but it cannot rip the dvd.
you need something like [Mod Edit: removed prohibited link] you can use this to rip the movie to your HDD then handbrake to convert to whatever format you wish to use

Please read Board Rules

•No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

Edited by boopme, 22 August 2012 - 07:56 PM.

#4 newbie320

newbie320
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

Cool. Thanks. Was I correct on the resolution 720 x 480 or should I convert to a different one? Thanks

#5 newbie320

newbie320
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

Also my sd movies range from 4 to 5gb each. When transfering them to mp4 what file size should I shoot for. Should I stay with 4 or 5gb or is it okay to go lower in mp4 format. I will be streaming my video collection to a 40" and 47" lcd tv's. Thanks for the help.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

The best you can do for SD movies is as far as 720x540. Whether you should stay with 4-5 GB totally depends if you have enough space on hard disk. The MP4 gives smaller file size but does cost the quality a tiny bit. This is entirely a personal choice. I suggest that you experiement with a smaller file and choose what works best for you.

#7 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:09 AM

I was going to ask this very same question. :)

Personally, I don't like to convert the videos because too much quality is lost.
I want to keep the video exactly the way it is on the original DVD.

So I simply copy the VIDEO_TS folder to the hard-drive.

But this presents a small problem when streaming the videos. ( I plug the external hard drive into a Blu-Ray player, to watch the video on TV)
Problem is, there is a short pause between the VOBs about every 15 minutes or so. Which isn't that big a deal for me.

But I think one could always use Vobmerge (free at Videohelp.com ) to merge all the VOBs to one file without loosing any quality, to eliminate the pause.

In my case the DVDs are NTSC 720 x 480.

Anyway . . . that's the way I do it.

Curious to know what every one else is doing. Good post.

#8 newbie320

newbie320
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

Thanks. All of my players are Dlna Sony Blu Ray which are hard wired. Will they play Vob's ?

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

VOB is basically MPEG file, so can be played by any DVD/Blue ray Player. If it can play DVD movie, it means it can play VOB. You might want to join all the VOB files using VOBMerge program and then rename the resulting file with .MPEG extension.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOBMerge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users