Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP sp 3 freezing at AtiPcie.sys

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

This is my third attempt to post about this. HOPEFULLY this one goes through....

Okay, I was away for a week, and my computer wasn't turned on for the entire time. It was fine before I left, but last night when I got back the trouble began.

I booted it up, came up normally, and I was checking email. I was working on a reply when the box froze. Reboot, continued working. Froze again, but quicker.

Reboot, this time it got to the end of PageDefrag (which I've been running for 2+ years with no problems), then the video got all bizarre -- flipping, flashing, and half the screen was black.

Reboot, same thing.

Tried Safe Mode, box locked at AtiPcie.sys. Tried Safe Mode with Command Prompt, same thing. I was tired, so I gave up and went to bed.

This morning I tried booting off the XP CD, no joy (yes, I changed the boot order so it would read the CD/DVD drive). Tried booting a few more times, still hangs. Finally got the machine up in Safe Mode with Networking Support. Did some Googling, and that wasn't a lot of help -- everything from HDD failure to video card failure to corrupt video drivers to corrupt XP installation.

One solution suggested it was a tdss virus, so I ran tdsskiller and had no issues.

I was able to get the box up in Safe Mode with Networking, as I said, and was posting with all the specifics, when the screen flashed bright orange, then the entire box shut down. Checked the power supply, reset it (it hadn't tripped itself, but just to make sure I reset it), powered up, and the box shut down almost immediately.

So here's what I remember, sorry I don't have really good specifics...

Home built computer, XP Professional sp3, fully updated as of 8/15/12
ASUS MT something or other motherboard with AMD processor
3.5 GB RAM
Seagate SATA HDD model ST375-something
NVIDIA GeForce 3400 GS video card

This is all new hardware about 2 years old. I sure hope one of y'all can help me figure out how to fix my poor sick box. Meanwhile, I'm going to drag it out and give it a really good cleaning...

Edited by hamluis, 22 August 2012 - 12:09 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

I'm going to drag it out and give it a really good cleaning..

remove and reinstall the video card and ram chips while your at it

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 wobblerlorri

wobblerlorri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

Okay, blew out all the dust and fluffs (I have cats), reseated the RAM and video card, still nothing. On the advice of an IT friend in AZ, I ordered a new video card since the one I had (NVIDIA Ancient McOlderson GeForce 3400 GS PCI card) is so old I don't even remember when I bought it.

I got a Zotac NVIDIA 8400 GS PCIe card from Tiger Direct, and installed it yesterday. Didn't hook up the box until today.

Booted right up, found all the hardware, installed the card's drivers, and now my display is beautiful.

So I hope other people who've been being told their hard drive has crashed and their info is irretrievable do a bit more research (yeah, that's one of the "fixes" I found while Googling "xp freezes at atipcie").

Thanks, BC! And thanks to Coinneach in AZ, most especially!

Also, I cut up a pair of pantyhose and taped it over the intakes on the case. You'd think case manufacturers would include FILTERS to keep dust and small particulates out, but nooooooo....

Edited by wobblerlorri, 25 August 2012 - 10:36 AM.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

thanks for the update ,on my way to flea market to look for some pantyhose , lol

happy computing

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users