Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unwanted restarts

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 fscali

fscali

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:32 AM

Hello. I started troubleshooting with the spybot forums (my SpyBot Thread) and was sent here. I had possible infections that were causing BSODs and restarts. We went through many proceedures including running a few combofix scripts. They say I am clean and I don't have BSODs any more, but I still have restarts occuring so they sent me here.

Restart description: it is just like someone unexpectedly pulled the power cord, the screen goes black, the fans and disk stop spinning, all power indicator lights go out, and then a half second later the boot process starts.

I can make this occur on demand: it happens when I try to switch to the "Space" theme screen saver, when I try to scroll down the Dell PC Check utility application page, when I run the Dell PC Check tests, when I sync my iPhone using iTunes. When I boot in the diagnostic partition and attempt to run Dell's tests, the machine has the restart issue prior to completion of the complete series of tests. As these tests take well over an hour to run, I have not been sitting at the screen to note what test is being performed at the exact time of the restart. Not sure if the boot partition has its own set of drivers or if it somehow uses the drivers in the main partition.
I'm sure there are other times when this happens but these are the ones I am aware of currently.

I have a Dell Dimension PC running XP sp3. I have updated my drivers per the Dell instructions.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users