Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Modems On A Dsl Line.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:09 AM

Hey gang, I have another networking question.

I have a neighbor who has an issue. Not quite sure how to ask it, so please let me explain.

He has a home phone line, w/DSL in his home now. I hooked up his one and only home computer to the line with the supplied modem from the phone company. He has built an outbuilding with an in-law apartment that is about 200' away from his home. He has his home phone already run out to the in-law apartment. How do we hook up a computer in the in-law apartment to the internet? We have no interest in networking these two computers, or in sharing printers. My guess it is too far away for wireless. So how about we hook up another modem to the phone line in the in-law apartment? Would that work?

(He happens to have another phone company supplied modem at his office that we could use).

I have never tried this before, so I would like to hear from anyone who has done this before.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:11 PM

If your neighbor, in absolutely no way, shape or form wants these computers talking to each other, tell him to just purchase another IP address from his dsl supplier. It's usually only a couple bucks ($3.00-$5.00) a month more.
Then he can use that second modem. No fuss, no muss.

Edited by HitSquad, 13 March 2006 - 01:13 PM.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:31 PM

Perfect! Thanks so much!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:58 PM

A no cost (except for equipment) solution would be HPNA or wireless. Extenal wireless antenias are $20 to $40 depending on the style. HPNA just plug into the RJ11 POTS jacks and your online. Check with your DSL provider. That was a popular option several year back for them.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/H/HPNA.html

HPNA USB
802.11g PCI
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users