Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA Primary hard disk drive 0 failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drgibby7

drgibby7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:17 AM

I returned from a 10 day vacation to find that when I started up my computer, it would not boot, giving an error of:

SATA Primary hard disk drive 0 failure
Press F1 to continue, F2 for setup utility

There is also a new clicking noise (hard drive, I presume?)

I found an old Ubuntu 9.10 CD I made a few years ago and was able to run Ubuntu from the CD.

In Ubuntu, under Places - Computer, I don't see my hard drive listed, which is disheartening. I do see a Ghost drive listed.

I'm trying to find a way to get some important files off of the hard drive.

Of note, about a week before I left for vacation, I got a malware infection (Windows Live Security Platinum) which I am pretty confident I had vanquished thanks to help from posts on this site. My computer was working normally for 4 consecutive days prior to leaving town, without any evidence of persistent malware infection.

Any advice as to how to access data from the apparently failing/failed hard drive?

BTW the clicking stopped a few minutes after loading Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:07 AM

Does it make klunk klunk noise like someone is hitting metal again and again? In that case head is shot and it cannot be fixed by you. Take it to repair experts and they would charge you big money for extracting data from it.

If it is making small clicking noise, then the header is trying to read data but failing. Probable cause may be inadequate power coming from power supply or data cable is broken. Just attach it to another computer and check. It can also mean corrupt sectors.

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:48 AM

Let's try this firstly since you have a Ubuntu CD handy, and see what it shows.
  • I am guessing there is a problem with the file-system in the Windows operating system partition
    This may or may not be due to a problem with the hard drive itself, and we can look at that next.
Boot with the Ubuntu CD.
Note: These instructions prepared using Ubuntu 9.04
  • Go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal
  • Type the following at the prompt:

sudo fdisk -lu

• Note the space between arguments where shown. That's an L as in Llama and not a ONE.
    • and press <ENTER>
  • Drag the mouse pointer from bottom to top of the terminal window to select all text.
  • Right-click somewhere in the selection area > Copy.
  • Now open Firefox and enter the address www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums and press <ENTER>
  • Navigate to your topic and click Add Reply.
  • Paste the text that you copied from the terminal window into the text box of the new post.
You wrote: "I'm trying to find a way to get some important files off of the hard drive."
I am assuming that this is your first and highest priority at this time.
  • If that is the case, I suggest you do not attempt anything further than what has been suggested in order to minimise the risk of further damage/data loss if the hard drive &/or file system is indeed the problem.

Edited by AustrAlien, 22 August 2012 - 06:52 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 drgibby7

drgibby7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

Thanks AustrAlien. Here's what I got...

To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -lu

Disk /dev/sdb: 80.0 GB, 80000000000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9726 cylinders, total 156250000 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xb7d921e7

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 16065 102414374 51199155 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sdb2 * 102414375 156232124 26908875 7 HPFS/NTFS
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users