Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloads are not saved Anywhere?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 smohalia

smohalia

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:16 AM

This is my first post and Id like to say hi and thank everyone working behind the scenes.I have a Dell Dimension E310 XP Home.The problem is when I download a file,I get the prompt to Run or Save.Doesnt matter which I choose,say Save.I have cheap dialup and it can take hours so when its saved to doc.I go in to Run it and there is Nothing.Its like a giant loop I go thru'and its never downloaded.I dont know if this means anything,when Im prompted to Run or Save file,there is an identical window that comes up right behind this prompt window only its greyed out.When Im told the files downloaded an orange tab with file download is in the tray.I run IE and my virus protector is Avg.Thanks for helping me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:24 AM

The problem with dial up is that it can easily drop connection and continue to show as if it is downloading the file, but the physical connection to the server has already been broken. Even if you have a call waiting box/service that still allows phone calls to come in, that can also mess up the connection because it attempts to put your internet on "hold". Your best bet is to ditch the dial up and get a basic DSL or Cable package. Time warner, ATT, Comcast and Qwest all have packages for about 19.99 per month and will give you at minimum a 1.5 mbps downstream and .25-.45 upstream. Even that will be 20x better speeds than your current situation.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:37 AM

Where are you looking for the downloaded files? How do you determine that the file is not on your system?

Louis

#4 smohalia

smohalia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

Sorry for the delay in my response.When I get the prompt to Run or Save download,it goes into my Documents file.I then go to open said file and I get the prompt Run or Save again.I seem to get this loop and never get what I downloaded to run.Any thoughts on why?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

Files which are archived/zipped...have behaved like that on my system (run/save twice)...but they then run.

<<...and never get what I downloaded to run...>>

Be specific, please...give me an example or two of files which you have downloaded whioh did not run.

I don't mind when someone says that "the sky is falling"...but I would like to know just what that assessment might be based on.

Just out of curiosity...have you ever used the Search function in Windows...to find out if these downloaded files are, in fact, on your system?

Louis

#6 smohalia

smohalia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:09 AM

Ok heres an example:I was going to do my taxes online and I needed to get the ez form.I go to the online taxes web site and it tells me I need to download the Pfd form.I then get the run/save.I save it to my documents.When the download is complete I want to run it.The screen clears and up comes run/save again.I close it out and go into my documents and its not there.I have run searches to no avail.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

My experience is...when doing taxes online, there are no forms that are downloaded to the desktop, other than a finished copy of the filed forms.

Forms are completed online...all computations, etc. are done online.

Perhaps you are not following the website instructions properly.

Louis

#8 smohalia

smohalia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:48 PM

Excuse me?You dont think theres any file downloaded when doing taxes?There is.You may have the application in front of you and if you need to read explanations you need to download the the pfd file.Ezforms!Check it out.I dont no why all the information regarding the problem I posted is diregarded as a comprehension problem on my part but I sure am glad that that is all it is.One small problem.Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users