Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Mini w/XP Home in Reboot Cycle

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 flydog

flydog

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

Hello All!

Traded around a couple of weeks ago and got a HP Mini 1000 with XP Home, 1GB Ram, 80GB HD, no CD, USB only. A few days after I got it, it kept shooting up a runtime error (Microsoft C++ Runtime Error) however, the origination did not fully show only C:...... and that was it. Thinking XP I went to do a restore but the restore option was off. This runtime error was driving me crazy. McAffee wanted to update so I hit the Update button (AT&T Freebie). During the update a pop up screen shot up saying that 2 restore systems were running and one needed to be terminated. Automatically, the XP restore was tossed leaving Roxio BackTrack which I didn't know was on the machine. This morning, first thing, I opened Backtrack and chose the earliest point. The machine rebooted and kept rebooting!

First the HP bios screen comes up (you know f9 for Boot order and f10 for bios) and then the black XP screen shows for a few moments. Randomly, there is a 1/20th of a second splash of the blue screen. It will let me boot into the Backtrack program to select undo or another restore point. Neither option changes anything. That's as far as it's gone. Can't even boot into Safe Mode.

What gives? Ideas? Pointers?

PS- It will boot to a safe mode selection and will run through the Disk listing or whatever it is and then go into a reboot.

Thanks in advance! Jeff flydog.

Edited by flydog, 21 August 2012 - 10:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

Hello and Welcome -
Please follow this post http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic465708.html/page__view__findpost__p__2812129
Select the option given in the same boot recycle situation as yours is currently stuck in

Now try to reboot to Normal Mode or else Safemode with Networking -

Thanks -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:34 AM

I suspect the Roxio application is corrupt or conficts with Windows System Restore.

Worth a look, http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=3832468&prodTypeId=321957&objectID=c01634414 .

Louis

#4 flydog

flydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

Thanks noknojon. Now the blue screen shows and has the attached:

Attached File  Blue Screen.jpg   335.38KB   4 downloads

Hamluis, going to check it out right now! Thanks

#5 flydog

flydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

Hamluis,
Great idea but they don't offer a download for the OS recovery only a mail order of a USB copy. Did that last night. With broadband being so widespread, they could have put it as a download. Thanks for the heads up! Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users