Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

operatating system not found

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 microof

microof

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

DV9408NR Hp pavilllion note book.
Sp2 2g MEMORY 140 HARD DRIVE WHICH IS A TOSHIBA.
To cut a long story short.Caught a virus -some zero access went through all the process probaly not correctly.
This was thru a different site.
Eventually managed to get rid of virus.
Computer worked ok.
Had been gettting bsod indicating new software and posible memory problems for a while but ignored these.Backed up some files.
Also safe mode had been crashing every time at different lengths of time.
Also i had noticed that when i made a system restore point it said it had worked but on boooting back up came up with no restore points have been made on this disc.Also started to recieve the user profile cant be loaded etc.
Computer is almost 5 years old cant get much more info or specs as iam using another comp at the moment.
Then when i boooted up with original comp I got the blinking cursor at top of screen and operatating system cant be found.
Any who decided to recover system thru recovery cds which I had made.This worked on first attempt.
But after booting back up I got the operatating system can not be found again.
Tried again and again but all I get is error 0x400110020000 10a eventually.
Can only access bios and a choice of where to boot from- hard drive wil not achieve anything.
This can conduct a hard drive test which comes up with some fail like 7 .
Wondering which would be the best way to approach this and is it fixable .
Novice computer user.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:46 AM

This is an error in your hard drive. SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) is probably failing. Best bet is to replace the hard drive with a new one (Make sure you check if it is SATA or PATA) 2.5 inch drive. Then just take your software disks that came with your computer and restore them to the new drive by booting to the disks.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 microof

microof
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:17 AM

There was only a recovery partition on the original computer no vista 32 bit disc or any other software discs.
Had to make your own set of recovery discs to restore computer back to factory settings or use the recovery manager.
Would it just be a case of replacing the hard drive then use the recovery discs I have made.
Would this work.?
Regards

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:51 AM

You may want to peruse the following, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=10374&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3439686 .

Louis

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

Hello,

This can conduct a hard drive test which comes up with some fail like 7 .

You should re-test the hard drive to confirm that it continues to fail testing:
If it fails testing again, chances are it is going bad or has failed as suggested by gavinseabrook.

I have searched for an HP error: 0x400110020000 10a unsuccessfully; however, error: 0x400110020000 100a
yielded many hits. A number of these reveal a bad hard drive.

If you have to replace the hard drive, the following link trying to re-install hp recovery disks, when you arrow down, gives some special instructions that might be helpful. Once the drive has been replaced, you should be able to re-install the OS from your recovery disks; however, there is no guarantee that they will work unless you have previously used them to re-install. Not to fret, as replacement disks can always be obtained from HP.

For reference, also see Maintenance and Service Guide for HP Pavilion dv9408nr Notebook PC (PDF).
Arrow down to Removal and Replacement --> Hard Drive.

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#6 microof

microof
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

Hello and thank you for your time.
Tested the hard drive a few more times.Seems to only do a quick test and not custom-which says could take up to 80 mins.And the error it comes up with is
Test Status #1-07 fail.
When attempting to do a recovery with the discs the error is indeeed the one you mentioned in above post.
0x400110020000-100a.
Recovery screen does come up "Would you like to restore machine to factory image"
Progress gets no further than zero then comes up with the error mentioned above.
Regards.

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

It looks as if a new hard drive is in the immediate future.

The link to your manual should show how to remove the drive. The other link, how to remove the cage and the adapter. The adapter (if present) and cage on the failed drive will need to go onto the new drive. Make sure that the new drive is at least as large (GBs) as the old drive.

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users