Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Nod32 anti virus really remove virus?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Madox

Madox

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

Can anyone prove this.. I mean, i test a lot of anti virus products, but it seems like the virus is still there..
My brother use my computer for downloading some programs.. I sometimes end up formatting the damn pc just to remove the so called virus..

AVG just list down all virus.
Avast tells you that it was remove.. But when you scanned again it says its there..

I end up using Nod32 after i formatted the pc for the 3rd time.. whew.. :thumbsup:

As of now i haven't encounter some issues about virus.. maybe i need to wait till my brother downloaded something again.. haysss.. :(

Could someone give me a list of virus that we usually see in the (registry).. COz i sometimes manually remove it by going to REGEDIT.. But i guess im missing some virus names.. Virus names that are not common, i guess.. I know there's a lot of geek in this forum who can assist me..

I would appreciate if you guys help me about some info i need to do, i prefer the manual removing thing.. its just that, i want to know how to find it and where to find it.. :clapping:

I'm a new member.. haven't browse the forum yet.. My friend told me this is a reliable website.. :thumbup2:

Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum, due to the absence of any malware logs included in the topic. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,937 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

:welcome: to BC

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Just because one anti-virus or anti-malware scanner detected threats that another missed, does not mean its more effective. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-vendors. Security vendors use different scanning engines and different detection methods such as heuristic analysis or behavioral analysis which can account for discrepancies in scanning outcomes. Depending on how often the anti-virus or anti-malware database is updated can also account for differences in threat detections.

Further, each security vendor uses their own naming conventions to identify various types of malware so it's difficult to determine exactly what has been detected or the nature of the threat without knowing more information about the actually file(s) involved. Names with Generic or Patched are a very broad category. Some vendors also add a modifier or additional information after the name that further describes what type of malware it is.

There are many lists of viruses and malware such as this one but each security vendor maintains their own listings with descriptions and you should refer to the one for the anti-virus you are using.

VirusTotal.com will show the names that most of major Anti-virus companies use for malware as seen in this example for Backdoor.SdBot.gen.
Jotti's virusscan and VirSCAN are two more sites similar to VirusTotal.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

Avast tells you that it was remove.. But when you scanned again it says its there..

There can be many explanations for this behavior.

A common explanation is that you are dealing with 2 malwares: malware A and malware B.
Malware A downloads malware B and writes it to the disk, but Avast will only detect malware B, not malware A, because it has only signatures for B.

So Avast will detect and properly clean malware B, but it keeps reappearing because malware A is still present and active.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

One other possibility is if you have more than one AV application installed. One AV may be seeing the infection in the other.
It may say where it is finding the malware and that would be another clue.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users