Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Automated Hijackthis Logfile Analysis

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Varoom

Varoom

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:33 AM

Hi Noobie here, Didnt know where else to post this, and everybody probably knows already...
(I didnt)
Way to cool to not share with everybody

HIJACKTHIS AUTOMATED LOGFILE ANALYSIS !

http://www.hijackthis.de/index.php

GC

Edited by Varoom, 13 March 2006 - 07:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:32 AM

The big question here would be "How reliable is it?"

It could probably point out glaringly obvious errors/viruses/un-wanted programs and such, but when it comes to the more advanced problems, the staff here would probably trump the system.

#3 Varoom

Varoom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:20 PM

No Doubt the staff here would trump the system!
But for the people that know what they are doing, (unlike me)
this should take some of the load of the staff in analysing logs
I look at it like another tool in the toolbox, nothing more
dont wanna ruffle any feathers, just got here

Just thought the work that was put into this automated sight was worth sharing.

gc

Edited by Varoom, 13 March 2006 - 12:26 PM.

#4 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:41 PM

True, it would be a good idea to give the automated site a try. That way, some of the more easily fixed problems can be kept out of the HJT forum, so the staff can concentrate on harder problems.

Have you personally used the site yet? If so, did it help?

#5 Varoom

Varoom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:07 PM

Yes I have, talk about information overload!
I am going to have to read the results a few times to pick out
what I am comfortable with removing. so far a couple of Installshield files that I didnt need, is all so far.

But what it did, is give me the confidence to run HiJackThis for the first time and submit a log for the first time and not be worried about looking like a dufus, cause I submitted something irrelavant to this Forum. And not wasting peoples valuable time.

gc

#6 beaver112

beaver112

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:01 PM

IMO it doesn't hurt to have another tool in your arsenal, especially nowadays. It is like any advice wether you follow it or not, it is entirely personal choice.

#7 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:36 PM

Careful guys. This site has been around for quite a while, and it does produce some false positives. Not saying the site is useless, but it's not a substitute for expert assistance.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#8 Varoom

Varoom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:15 PM

Thats why I said "everybody probably knows already" in my original post,
I just thought it seemed to be a useful tool, and wanted to share that.
If there is something wrong with it, I would love to know.

The sight seems harmless, and free, and so easy to use, just like any other tool no one should ever rely on it completely

gc

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:27 PM

As already stated, the staff around here definitely does not trump the system. Too many false positives, too many things missed, plus instructions that are not neccesarrily accurate. Not that I am trying to hack on them, I really appreciate their efforts because it is useful for those simple infections... however, in most instances, malware is too evolved to be simply removed and diagnosed with HJT anymore. There are multiple tools requiring multiple steps, etc.

In short, unless you have time to research everything marked as bad, or the time to verify that things are good, it is a good idea to let someone that is experienced help you.

#10 Varoom

Varoom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:40 PM

Sorry, I should have come on and asked if anybody had any knowledge of this sight and what they thought of it, I apoligize
gc

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:44 PM

No reason to apologize.. there are actually several automated forums, all about the same. :thumbsup:

#12 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:37 PM

No problem posting the site Varoom. We just wanted anyone reading the thread to be aware of the limitations on sites like those.

Edited by ddeerrff, 13 March 2006 - 10:42 PM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#13 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:40 AM

I saw that site a few months back. This was when I was having MAJOR problems. I used it, and when I got the results, I recieved a similar "information overload." I was sooo scared, that I just used my boot disc. I was afraid to use hijack this! to fix the problems, because I had read that it could severly damage my system if used improperly. However, that was before I found this site. Luckily, my laptop has has no other problems, but I have enlisted the help of the hijack this! team twice to purge my parent's computer. I feel much safer following the advice of experienced people than an automated site.

I think the hijack this! team does an outstanding job (although I feel guilty, because I always forget to thank them after they help me *sorry!*). While the automated site may be good for first looks (per se) of HJ logs, getting help from those who know what they are doing (unlike me :thumbsup: ) is the better way of purging your computer.

Thanks for the link, but I like these guys better! *smiles, then climbs off of soapbox*

#14 Varoom

Varoom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:36 AM

Thankyou for your responses, sometimes I need to "curb my enthusiasm" should have said the sight was NEW to me....

When I ran my log thru this process I was kinda sure everything was ok
and as it turned out it was, (just suggested a couple of things) so I hope to keep it that way and never use the HJT services (can always hope)

I joined cause of all the goods things I have heard about this Forum, hopefully the next thing I share will be more useful.

gc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users