Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google search issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dmh

dmh

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

Since yesterday when I seach using Google it returns a blank page. If I use another search engine like Yahoo it works fine. Iíve run MalwareBytes which showed no problems. Iím using Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8.0. Iíve not downloaded any software or made any system changes recently.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I can always use another search engine but I rather like Google.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

Hello dmh,

Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: ipconfig /flushdns

Click on the enter key.

Next Clear the web browser's cache
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 dmh

dmh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:51 AM

Thank you. Unfortunately the steps didn't get me there. I even tried re-booting the computer. Any other suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks again.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:38 PM

Your HOSTS file may be infected.
Reset the HOSTS file
As this infection also changes your Windows HOSTS file, we want to replace this file with the default version for your operating system.
Some types of malware will alter the HOSTS file as part of its infection. Please follow the instructions provided in How do I reset the hosts file back to the default?

To reset the hosts file automatically,go HERE click the Posted Image button. Then just follow the prompts in the Fix it wizard.

OR
Click Run in the File Download dialog box or save MicrosoftFixit50267.msi to your Desktop and double-click on it to run. Then just follow the prompts in the Fix it wizard.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Quex

Quex

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:10 PM

I'm having the same problem, running WinXP and an iteration of Firefox called Palemoon. Have tried both of these fixes (and others) and still getting the same blank page. It's not constant, though. For every browser restart, I have about one time where Google search works fine for every 5 times it fails. Suspect some leftover from the TDSS thing...?

#6 dmh

dmh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

This second suggestion didn't work for me either. I suppose it's nice to know I'm not the only one. Misery likes company, or at least likes miserable company.

Perhaps someone will have a 3rd suggestion. I don't really want to re-insall the entire operating system.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

We appear to have something protected and we will need a deeper look,.
That's a seaparate topic for each of you..

Please go here....Preparation Guide ,do steps 6-9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If GMER won't run (it may not on a 64 bit system) skip it and move on.

Let me know if that went well.

#8 Quex

Quex

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

Thanks boopme, will do.

In the meantime, tried running Symantec's TDSS tool. Found and repaired an infected MBR, then was able to use Google search as normal on the reboot. This seems to have solved (or at least temporarily chased away) another problem; an instance of svchost.exe going bonkers with 90%+ of the CPU and 200,000k+ memory usage.

But yeah, I'll make a new thread post-haste if the problem returns. Thanks.

(Good luck, dmh!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users