Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP DeskJet F4180 Stopped Working with JetDirect 310x

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lebowitz IT Services

Lebowitz IT Services

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

Here's the scenario:

Network:
  • Linksys WRT54G router
  • DSL modem
  • Two HP JetDirect 310x units for sharing USB printers on the network
Computers:
  • Windows 7 64-bit desktop
  • Windows XP notebook
  • MacBook notebook
Printers:
  • HP LaserJet 1200
  • HP DeskJet F4180 (color inkjet all-in-one)

The problem: The HP DeskJet F4180 has stopped working via the network (JetDirect). It DOES still work if I plug its cable directly into any of the computers USB ports, which would seem to rule out a problem with the printer, cable or computers. (And yes, I have two printer setups on each computer for this printer: one for USB connectivity, and one for network connectivity.)

The DeskJet's JetDirect is communicating normally via the network. I can view its administrative pages via a web browser, and the settings appear to be correct. It correctly detects and identifies the all-in-one as an HP DeskJet F4100 Series, and it correctly detects that no printer is attached if I unplug the DeskJet's USB cable. I don't expect to be able to scan or fax via the network - neither is supported via the HP all-in-one software or at all without the HP all-in-one software. (The JetDirect 310x has a scan feature available via its web interface, but this has never worked with the DeskJet F4180.) It has also never been possible to print a test page on the DeskJet F4180 by pressing the JetDirect's test button, most likely because the DeskJet F4180 has no built-in text printing capability and requires all print job rendering to be done by the computer.

But until recently, all three computers could print regular print jobs to the DeskJet from applications like web browsers and Microsoft Office. As of late last week, none of them can. On the Windows 7 computer, the job appears in the network DeskJet queue, and after a short pause, the entry changes to read "Error - Restarting"; no further information comes up, and the job never restarts - or maybe it perpetually restarts. It also can't be deleted from the queue; I have to stop the Spooler service and manually delete the files from C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS in order to get rid of the job. On the MacBook, the job goes to the network DeskJet queue, and after a short pause, an error along the lines of "This printer does not support IPP printing" appears. I can delete the job from the queue on the MacBook.

The HP LaserJet 1200 still works perfectly via its JetDirect.

I'm quite sure there are no IP address conflicts on the network. I can always reach both JetDirects, and they're assigned fixed IP addresses that are outside of the router's DHCP range.

I haven't had time to try switching the JetDirects. I'm also not anxious to spend too much more time on this because a network-ready all-in-one with capabilities that outstrip the DeskJet's can be had for $100.

Can anyone offer a solution, or at least some additional troubleshooting tips?

Mark Lebowitz
Chicago, IL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:31 AM

Have you tried updating the firmware of the JetDirect or even performing a hard reset on it and reconfiguring?

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Lebowitz IT Services

Lebowitz IT Services
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

Good suggestions. The JetDirects aren't new - HP hasn't made external USB printer sharing JetDirects for a number of years now - and I'm pretty sure they're both running the latest firmware available for them. But I will look up the procedure to do a hard reset on the problematic one and post the result.

#4 Jessikakore

Jessikakore

• Banned Spammer
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:09 AM

Hello
I am new to this site, but I want share my experience on this site. Actually, I got the problem with HP Deskjet F4180 in that The problem I am unable to print properly I asked the one technique he suggested me once re-install the driver. I did what he said. Now my printer is working very good. If you have any problem with your printer better re-install and check your printer it may work better...

Step By Step Installation Of  HP DeskJet F4180
  •  Visit the Hewlett Packard site for a free download of the driver.
  •  Choose the OS and download the driver software.
  •  Once the installation file is downloaded, open the file and follow the installation process.
  •  For more information on installation, you could download the manual from the site.

Jessika Kora

#5 Lebowitz IT Services

Lebowitz IT Services
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:02 AM

Oh, my. This post is over 2 years old, and I had quite forgotten about it! And I do apologize for failing to post the follow-up after doing a hard reset of the JetDirect. (It had no effect on the problem, by the way.)

Jessika, thank you for your helpful response. Reinstalling the driver and software package is among the first things to try (after checking for routine stuff like unplugged or damaged cables, and lack of electrical power or consumables) when troubleshooting a malfunctioning HP printer. And, indeed, I did try that, even though the printer worked fine as a USB printer. It didn't help.

As far as I can tell, the problem with this setup is simply that the HP DeskJet 4180 was not designed to be used as a network printer, and its software wasn't designed to run over a network. I got it to work briefly, when I first set it up, but it dropped offline shortly afterwards, and no amount of playing with the JetDirect or software (including reinstallation) was able to make it work that way again. It works just fine as a USB printer, so I eventually just told the customer that if he wanted to keep that old DeskJet, he'd have to plug it into a USB port whenever he wanted a color printer. And that's what he's done ever since, on the very rare occasion when he wants a color printout. At this point, the topic is closed.

Mark Lebowitz

Chicago, IL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users