Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bednab

bednab

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic441299.html - Hamluis.

Is this the one you have?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3559772&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3459241&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1093

You could have a Broadcom or Intel Ethernet in that model.
One way to tell, Look at the image I attached anything Intel will show VEN_8086
If it shows a different VEN_ number try the Broadcom one.

I too have that model and that VEN but the intel installer from HP reports back no intel card. The little program from Piriform indicates no ethernet cards. Bios indicated the onboard ethernet is active and available to the OS. Perhaps I will try Ubuntu Live... but I do need XP. Any ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 21 August 2012 - 02:06 PM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

First thing to do is make sure the Port is good.

Trying the Ubuntu Live should tell you if the Ethernet port is working or not.

Can you post the entire line that shows the Ven information.
For example one computer here shows PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1019&SUBSYS_02A71014&REV_00\4&2D894BD&0&0818

I'd like to see the whole line.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 21 August 2012 - 05:58 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 bednab

bednab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:08 AM

The line is:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_10BD&SUBSYS_2818103C&REV_2\3&B1BFB68&0&C8

#4 bednab

bednab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

As I was looking up that string I thought I would try to manually update the driver from the device manager and had some joy. By bypassing the installer and going directly to the folder the installer was using, I able to get the gigabit intel nic working. YAY! I still have 3 question marked items in my Device Manager and one of them is the PCO Serial Port which I might need down the line but YAY.. I have network. (yes I did try the device manager trick on the serial Port but no joy)

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

Glad to see you got the Ethernet port going.

If you post the lines from the three question marked items they can be figured out.

Can you run Speccy again and post a link to the report?

Thanks
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users