Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cpu spiking to 100%---ff?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 s.h.

s.h.

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

I have xp sp3, propel accelerator, 512 mb ram, ff 14.0.1, ie 8, Avast internet security and malwarebytes. I'm also on dial-up which normally dials in at 24.0 kbps. I've noticed that when I open a webpage, my cpu level jumps to 100% for a few moments but then goes back down. Sometimes, though, when I'm on sites with a lot of graphics, it will jump to 100% and stay there which pretty much freezes the computer. It doesn't happen all the time but I'd like to figure out why it's happening. I've taken my computer in for this problem a couple months back but it never happened for them. And avast and malwarebytes never finds anything on my computer. I usually only use firefox, never ie. IE runs slower than ff on my computer. Is it the speed I dial in at? Do I need more ram? Could it be FF? When the CPU level hits 100%, I try to pull up the windows task manager (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't). Here's the info:

Processes: between 37 and 40
Commit Charge: @300M/1248M (What is a commit charge?)

And then I usually have to press the power button and do a system restore because nothing will shut down. I was told that if your CPU stays at 100% for an amount of time it could actually melt the inside of the computer. True?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

Open task manager to the Processes tab and sort on the cpu column with the highest usage at the top. Leave task manager on top. Next time the cpu spikes see which process is using the cycles.

Commit charge: http://www.ehow.com/about_5092680_commit-charge-task-manager.html

Edited by Allan, 21 August 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

And then I usually have to press the power button and do a system restore because nothing will shut down. I was told that if your CPU stays at 100% for an amount of time it could actually melt the inside of the computer. True?

All that happens is the CPU runs hotter.
If the CPU gets to hot the computer will shut down to prevent damage.

If the computer can handle it 1Gb (twice what you have now) should make it operate better.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 s.h.

s.h.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

Open task manager to the Processes tab and sort on the cpu column with the highest usage at the top. Leave task manager on top. Next time the cpu spikes see which process is using the cycles.

Commit charge: http://www.ehow.com/about_5092680_commit-charge-task-manager.html

I always thought that you were supposed to look at the mem usuage, not the cpu. System idle process seems to have a 98 nest to it. Does that mean 98% of the computer. Thanks for the link.

#5 s.h.

s.h.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

All that happens is the CPU runs hotter.
If the CPU gets to hot the computer will shut down to prevent damage.

If the computer can handle it 1Gb (twice what you have now) should make it operate better.

Roger

Thanks for the info.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

I always thought that you were supposed to look at the mem usuage, not the cpu. System idle process seems to have a 98 nest to it. Does that mean 98% of the computer. Thanks for the link.

If the cpu is spiking we need to know which process is spiking. System Idle Process shows how much of the cpu is NOT being used. The higher that value is, the better. Again, when the cpu spikes let us know which process it is.

#7 s.h.

s.h.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

If the cpu is spiking we need to know which process is spiking. System Idle Process shows how much of the cpu is NOT being used. The higher that value is, the better. Again, when the cpu spikes let us know which process it is.

So, it just happened. PropelAC.exe (which is my web acclerator) stayed at 98 and 99% in the cpu column. Is that what's causing the problem? Does that mean it's taking up 99% of my computer? And it that's true, do you know of another web acclerator?

#8 s.h.

s.h.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

I also know to get the program to work correctly, you're supposed to change the network proxy connection. It seems that my last update with firefox had deleted this setting. Could that be affecting it? That I didn't have the right proxy setting?

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

I'm not familiar with the software, but at the very least you should stop it from running. Personally, I'd uninstall it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users