Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia 6800 Gs Question...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:45 AM

I just picked up/installed a nVidia 6800 GS in my comp. Love it, simply love it. I was told that there's programs that will "unlock" the disabled pipelines in the card (I believe that the card is basically a restricted 6800 GT). I have even seen posts where people have (said) they've done this. Can it be done? Can anyone recommend a program to do it? I don't want to overclock it though, as it's already OC'd from the manufacturer (EVGA) at 1000 mhz (although they say that you can OC it to over 1100 mhz).

Any help here would be great!

BTW, soft mods only...the wife would kill me if I fried a $200 card!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:57 AM

RivaTuner will do what you want and is probably the one you were told about (if I had to guess). It's a freebie too.

Edited by HitSquad, 13 March 2006 - 09:58 AM.

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:48 AM

Thanks HitSquad! Have you had any experience using that RivaTuner? Just wondering if there's any advice on what to do/what not to do!

Thanks again! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:11 PM

Hi Steve.
Ya, I've used it a few times. Don't worry about killing your card, you'll be alright. If you see a lot of artifacts or any other screen corruption, it means your card won’t run correctly with all the pixel and vertex pipelines enabled. You may also get different results from different applications\games as well.
If it's a big problem, just go back to the NVStrap area and uncheck them. Some people just leave the sixth vertex unit turned on and disable the pixel units. You end up with a 12 pixel pipe configuration with six vertex units, rather than the 6800's 12 pixel pipe, 5 vertex pipe stock config.

Edited by HitSquad, 13 March 2006 - 12:20 PM.

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:04 PM

Good to know, much appreciated :thumbsup: :flowers:

See, that's why I ask questions like that, so I know what to expect and what not to. I'll give that a whirl probably tonight, and I'll post back with some results. If it works, I'll run 3Dmark05 and compare it to the score I got with the standard settings (scored 4424 with card on default settings!).

Again, thanks a lot HitSquad :trumpet:
Posted Image

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:41 AM

I downloaded it last night, and it said that the drivers that I had currently installed were unrecognized (or maybe it was incompatible) with rivatuner and that using riva tuner with the current drivers may damage the card..... :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: That's weird, becaause the drivers that I have installed for the card are the ones that I downloaded from that website (3Dguru). Any recomendations on which drivers are compatible with riva tuner?

Also, I didn't see a place to turn on extra vertex thingymabobs. The only thing I saw that I could adjust was the pixel shaders (force 2.0 shaders, force 3.0 shaders etc.).

Ugh....I'm feeling rather noobish after getting beat up by this progrma :inlove:
Posted Image

#7 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:45 AM

Hi Steve.
I probably should have asked you this in an earlier post but are you using the PCIe or AGP version of the card? If it's the PCIe version of the card with the NV41 core, forget rivatuner, won't work.

Edited by HitSquad, 14 March 2006 - 09:49 AM.

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:32 AM

Hi Steve.
I probably should have asked you this in an earlier post but are you using the PCIe or AGP version of the card? If it's the PCIe version of the card with the NV41 core, forget rivatuner, won't work.

LOL! No, I should've posted it earlier! I usually try to give a lot of information to help prevent to many questions that slow up progress!! It's AGP, running at 8x. Sorry about that! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#9 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:20 PM

No Problem Steve, common in forums if ya know what I mean.
I frequently have to step out and sometimes leave people hanging for hours.
Usually somebody else jumps in though. :thumbsup:
Anyway, I have never seen a warning concerning incompatable drivers with RT. I always use the drivers that are bundled with the card, which we both know are always outdated. Unless I've got a particular issue that drivers specificly address, I leave well enough alone. Half the time they just cause more issues then they cure. In any case, you should not be getting that warning right off the bat simply by using the application without making changes. Do not attempt to use it until that issue is resolved first. Once you find compatable drivers, if you want to bother, I can walk you through all the settings if you like. I would also suggest you cruise\post in the guru forums for something that may be a simple solution. Might be a known issue or patch or something. Those guys live and breath that stuff. :flowers:

Edited by HitSquad, 14 March 2006 - 01:31 PM.

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:30 PM

Sweet! Thanks for the advice, I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling RV and see if I can't get a little more info on that warning that came up. If I get that warning, I'll go from there, and like u said I'll be sure to check for common problems on the guru forums.

I'll post back to let you know how I made out.

Thanks a ton HitSquad :thumbsup: :flowers:
Posted Image

#11 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:49 PM

Are you using the official nVidia drivers or something that third parties have been modding?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#12 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:43 PM

I'm using the drivers I downloaded from 3dguru.com. According to the techs at EVGA, those drivers should work fine. The techs actually recommended that I download the drivers from that site and use them. I was suprised that I got that error message seeing how the drivers and the rivatuner were downloaded from the same site.
Posted Image

#13 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:50 PM

3Dguru is just hosting. Doesn't mean they got anything to do with RivaTuner itself. Nor does it mean that 3Dguru has to be behind the drivers, although eVGA is right that there are a lot of small nice tweaks in the modded drivers you find around the web.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#14 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:16 PM

Good to know about rivatuner...I knew that they didn't make the drivers, but I figured that they made rivatuner. Silly me! LOL!!!

I uninstalled then reinstalled rivatuner so I could get that error message again. It's more of a warning, but I'll paste it into this post. I JUST downloaded this 2 days ago from 3dguru.com, so how could it be telling me to search for a newer version?

Posted Image

Any advice on what to do from here? Ignore it and see what happens? Uninstall it and never download it again? Move to Antartica and become a frozen monk?

How do I tell what version drivers I'm currently using? I have 81.94 and 82.12 saved on my external hd, but I can't remember which ones I installed (insert senile joke here)!

Thanks again!
Posted Image

#15 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:42 AM

My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager.
Click the plus sign next to display adapter. Select the display adapter, right click, select properties.
Click the "Driver" tab, installed version is there.
If you need to install unsupported modded drivers, it not worth it in my opinion.

Edited by HitSquad, 15 March 2006 - 08:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users