Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant find internet firewall

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 missy51633

missy51633

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:12 PM

:thumbsup: i hope i am posting in the right place and the right way by starting a new thread?
i had to do a reinstall and followed the discs i got from the factory with my cp,but i can not find me firewall to see/or turn it on .any help appreciated
thanks missy51633

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:39 PM

You posted in the wrong forum, but thats ok. We moved you to the right place.

What firewall are you using?

#3 BioHazard

BioHazard

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:17 AM

If you are using windows XP with no third party software then click start----settings---controlpanel. click network connections, then right click on how you connect to the internet and click the advanced tab. there should be a spot saying "internet connection firewall" check the box below that and the XP fire wall is in effect.

if i may suggest looking into a third party firewall software. the MS series of firewall software leaves alot to be desired for protection.

#4 La Princess

La Princess

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 21 July 2004 - 07:16 PM

I had 90day free McAfee with my pc..sub has expired. I am now using AVG Free, Spy Assassin and just the Windows Firewall.

What 3rd party Firewall do you recommend?

With the security I am using (plus a third party firewall) am I safe?

If not, what can you suggest?

Dell Dimension 2400 Windows Home

TYIA,

La Princess

#5 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 08:03 PM

Here is one I recommend

Sygate
It's Free,

I personally use Zone Alarm Pro although alot of people have problems with it. Don't know the difference between the free and pro version. But Sygate Seems to be highly recommended

Are you safe? Do you use Dial up or are you on Cable or DSL? Dial up ehhh In my own opinion yes your 98% safe. If you have an always on connection and no firewall then no.. Not to alarm you but if you do have dsl etc.. I would suggest running this program

SpySweeper

And then go here to see if any nasties have gotten into your system

HouseCall

#6 La Princess

La Princess

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 08:15 PM

I have dial up...are there any free firewalls that you can recommend that are not too complex for my simple newbie mind :thumbsup:

Thanks,

La Princess

#7 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 08:52 PM

Yes the Sygate up above is free just click on the link :thumbsup:

#8 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 21 July 2004 - 09:40 PM

Firewalls are not simple by any means, but for my clients I install and recommend Zone Alarm. Once installed it has a short tutorial to get you started and after that its all automatic. You will have to do some initial "training" to teach ZoneAlarm which programs are allowed to use the internet, but overall it's a very good firewall.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users