Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 - No boot after deleting DR0 with TDSSKILLER

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wdienst

wdienst

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

Hello. I'm new to the forums, though I've read some posts here before. Anyway, I'll get straight to the meat. I have in my possession a Gateway laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. The person who owns this laptop ran TDSSKILLER, and deleted the TDL file system it detected (DR0). Now, naturally, it will not boot into Windows. To be more specific about the OS, it is Windows 7 Home Premium OA Acer Group. I do not have the original OS media. What can I do to get the system back up and running? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Thinhtien

Thinhtien

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

If it is a commercial system like Acer it should have a recovery partition that you can restore the system to its factory build image.

Good luck.

#3 wdienst

wdienst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:29 AM

And how do I get to the recovery partition? Alt+F10 doesn't work. I can get into BIOS (F2), and I change boot devices (f12), but nothing beyond that. I get a blank, blinking cursor screen of doom.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:54 PM

Gateway Recovery Disks?

http://support.gateway.com/s/tutorials/tu_838111.shtml, see Order Recovery CD at http://us-store.gateway.com/ .

Louis

#5 wdienst

wdienst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

I was trying to get by without ordering anything. So, I used Hiren's boot cd to boot to the Windows partition, which then gave a stop error. This allowed it to at least boot with the "Startup Recovery" option (rather than just a blinking cursor and black screen). Startup Recovery failed, but I was able to get the the command prompt and dump the boot record and rebuild it:

• bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
  • c:
  • cd boot
  • attrib bcd -s -h -r
  • ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
  • bootrec /RebuildBcd

I can now boot into Windows again.

Thanks.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for posting your self-resolution...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users