Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router connected but cannot connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Natterjack

Natterjack

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:38 AM

I am running a Dell desktop with Win7 on a wired network through a Netgear router. My Internet connection recently stopped working. I checked modem router and cables and all are working. I hooked up a laptop and both wired and wireless connections are fine. I uninstalled and reinstalled the network adapter then reinstalled latest drivers but neither helped. I turned off the internal modem in BIOS then installed a usb wireless adapter. The adapter is connected and has great signal strength but says it has no Internet access. The windows diagnostic just says the DNS server is not responding. Prior to the problem I did not install any new software and there were no software updates downloaded that I know of.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:54 AM

You seem to have related issue from this newly open thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic465962.html
Try following the same advice first and run minitoolbox from the pinned topic same with how the OP posted and include list installed programs.

Tekken

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:16 AM

If you have mcafee.Reinstall it.There was a bug in previous mcafee update that caused network issues.

#4 Natterjack

Natterjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

McAfee reinstallation got it working again.

Thanks guys.

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

You're most welcome :)

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

It seems McAfee would need a lot of work to fix certain bugs for their loyal users. :busy:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users