Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 feature - Boot to desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

From the Forums: Windows 8 feature - Boot to desktop

Tablet users probably love the new interface Microsoft created for Windows 8, but if you're using a laptop or desktop with mouse and keyboard, it could be quite frustrating to boot directly to the new Start screen. Some members of our forums probably felt the same way and began looking for a solution to their problem. In a recent forum post, Neowin member 'Fred 69' has found a way to boot directly to the desktop, without using any third party app. It's a built in Windows feature, although it's not an obvious one.

The feature is hidden somewhere between the folder options. All you have to do is to go to options in any Explorer window, choose the 'view' tab and click on 'Restore previous folder windows at log-on'.

The system will boot to the desktop at startup, but only if you leave an explorer window open at shutdown. It's still a great way if you don't want to use special software, such as Stardock's Start8.

http://www.neowin.net/news/from-the-forums-windows-8-feature---boot-to-desktop

Edited by herg62123, 20 August 2012 - 10:21 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:55 AM

didn't work for me ,but it's just a simple click of the desktop icon on the start screen to get to desktop anyway .

Edited by caperjac, 23 August 2012 - 06:55 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 Nett0

Nett0

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

Google search Pokki. Its like apples dipped in chocolate.

#4 randomystique

randomystique

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

can anyone verify whether the search box on the classic start menu works like what it's supposed to be in win7?

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:53 AM

can anyone verify whether the search box on the classic start menu works like what it's supposed to be in win7?

if you are meaning with Pokki the answer is yes ,the look is not exact ,but the way it works is the same ,I installed nut removed it already ,I like the new look feel better ,

imag of the start ,

http://gigazine.jp/img/2012/10/18/pokki/pokki025.png

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users