Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone recognize this IM?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 D&S+14

D&S+14

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hello.

I'm usually the go-to guy for this person's computer.. but this one has be a bit baffled. Hopefully it's an easy one. She does not use any IM, and apparently was checking her email - when an IM popped up. I looked, and I don't recognize the IM program that it's running through, which concerns me. If she has one that she doesn't know about (apparently) it needs to be dealt with. Anyway, I was fortunate enough to have installed a screen capture on her computer, and this was the browser window (Firefox). The mystery IM is at the bottom right (quite clearly). Can anyone tell me which IM it's from?

The problem is that I use Trillian, so they all look the same to me.

I solved the problem at the time by simply killing the firefox process through the process manager, as it was contained within the browser.

Thanks much.

Screen Capture

Edited by D&S+14, 20 August 2012 - 05:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

It's a yahoo chat spam message. Notice on the left side it shows chat as invisible. Spammers can and do send spam chat messages even to invisible chat settings.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

1 . Spam - Yahoo! Help Desk

Dear Value Customers,

Due to the congestion in all Yahoo users and removal of all unused Yahoo Accounts, Yahoo would be shutting down all unused Accounts.
You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your login information after clicking the below or your Account will be suspended within 24 hours for security reasons.
Confirm Your ID At http// xxxxxxxxxxx
Thank you for using Yahoo! Services

2 . Spam - The Yahoo! Alert Security Group
Dear Valued Yahoo! User,

In the last few days, our security Team observed multiple logons to your account,from Different Blacklisted I.P addresses,therefore we are Issuing this security warning.
To prevent further unauthorized access for your safety,we have decided to put an extra verification process to ensure your account security.
Contact httpxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to verify your settings

To ensure that your account information remains accurate and secure, we will notify you whenever this information changes.

Sincerely,
Yahoo! Customer Department

>> Copyright 2012 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
<< Makes it look real, but it is fake -

Today I got another one that my Yahoo account was being suspended today unless I responded to another "Verify Your Account by Clicking Here" Message -
I have had about 20 or 30 similar emails over the last few years, and all just get deleted -
There was also a similar one that -XXXXXX- needs to contact you, Plus I won another Lottery prize - I get more Spam than real emails -

In 24 hours I will still have a Yahoo email account, just as I have had for the past almost 10 years - And more spam -

#4 D&S+14

D&S+14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

Ah, thanks much.

Didn't even realize she was signed into it. It must have come by default that way somewhere along the line.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users