Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about system rebuild after Trojan attack

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chip12

Chip12

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

Hi!

I recently received some help on the site from narenxp (who was a lifesaver) and got my wounded PC up and running again.

I have now removed my media etc from the PC and I am going to re-install Windows 7 to ensure that my system is clean. I would very much appreciate some advice on a couple of things - mods I hope this is in the right place!

1. I am willing to replace my HDD but as money is tight would prefer to re-use my current one. I would want to ensure no traces of the infection remain, all partitions are removed & the drive returned to a 'as new' completely blank and uninfected state. Is there a recommended/trusted piece of software (DBAN?) or method that can do that for me? I have read a W7 format will not accomplish this.

2. I had the Zeroaccess trojan - could this have infected my BIOS or other components so it would return even with a new HDD and W7 installation?

Many thanks!! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

could this have infected my BIOS or other components so it would return even with a new HDD and W7 installation?

If the drive is healthy and cleaned of any infection, you could always do a clean install. Viruses are only software based, generally. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001119.htm

Tekken

#3 Chip12

Chip12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:30 AM

If the drive is healthy and cleaned of any infection, you could always do a clean install. Viruses are only software based, generally. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001119.htm

Thanks, is there a way to completely and securely wipe the HDD? I did read about some infections that can survive a format so I would like to find a way to ensure this does not happen!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

Darik's Boot And Nuke Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing - http://www.dban.org/

Louis

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:35 AM

I don't think formatting and reinstalling the OS will have any reinfection problem since some malware, rootkits and viruses would stop or have the ability to interrupt this process in the first place. But if you want to make sure, Dban would do the job for you as provided by hamluis.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users