Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with my dell, vista os

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nandc

nandc

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

I came back from my holiday to find my computer had decided to stop working. When I turn it on the screen fires up and then it stops in the initial screen. I have opened the computer up and ascertained that the hard drive is spinning but it doesn't boot past the very first screen. I have tryed F8, nothing. The CD drive is unresponsive. Is anyone able to help me, please?

Edited by hamluis, 03 September 2012 - 05:49 AM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Hello nandc,

Are there any error messages on the screen?

Can you enter BIOS setup?
  • Press F2 when the Dell logo appears. Press every few seconds until the message Entering Setup appears.
  • If successful, is the system date and time way off? If it is, the computer may need a new CMOS battery.
Can you run Dell Diagnostics (instructions here)?
  • Turn the computer off.
  • Turn the computer back on.
  • Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the <F12> key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).
    Note: Some systems do not have an F12 key, to access the boot options you have to press the <0> (zero) key at the Dell logo screen.
  • At the One Time Boot menu, press the <Down> arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, PSA+ or Enter ePSA, then press <Enter> to begin the PSA.
  • Write down any error codes listed.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

1) What is "the first screen"?
2) Did anyone have access to your computer when you were away?
3) Was the system left on while you were away?
4) What do you mean "when you turn on the screen"?
5) What do you mean "the cd drive is unresponsive"?

#4 nandc

nandc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:24 AM

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I have been unable to respond due to lack of a computer.
to answer the questions.

1. I am unable to enter the bios setup. I did try at first, although I could hear a quiet 'beeping' (not as loud as normal when a key is depressed consistently) when pressing the button nothing happened. I have since unplugged the keyboard and other external devices to check the hdd was spinning and when I reconnected them nothing happens (I guess that I put the keyboard back in the wrong slot, I have since tried all of the other slots - no joy). when the keyboard was 'working' I tried F2 and F12 (f2 setup and f12 boot menu) but nothing happened other than the quiet beeping, I also tried other F keys no joy.

2.I am unable to run any other diagnostics, the only screen was the first one. It read F2 = setup, F12 = boot menu, the Dell symbol and web address and Bios revision 1.0.15.
Interestingly when I reconnected the cables the screen writing was red. I have since, carefully blown some of the dust using a air jet can, and taken the details of the power supply in case that needs changing. I have just reconnected and fired it up and the screen was back to the normal white, green and blue. Im not sure what that could mean, other than and issue with the video card or power supply.

3. while I was away, a 'house sitter' could have had access to the computer. I have not spoken to him since returning.

4. the system was off, unplugged while away.

5. cd unresponsive. the cd drive tray comes out when the button is pushed but is not recognized and the boot disk does not work.

Thanks,
Nigel

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

Hello,

By your description, it sounds like the CDROM is receiving power.

When powering on, are the power supply fan and internal fans working as well?

It appears that you are using a USB keyboard. In case a key is stuck, can you try a different USB keyboard? Does the computer have a PS2 socket: see here (bottom left). If so, try a PS2 keyboard.

It would appear that the motherboard is not POSTing.

Regards,
Brooks

#6 nandc

nandc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:44 AM

Hi, thank you for your time, sorry for not replying sooner, things are very hectic and I now have a laptop so the need for my desk top is slightly reduced. However, I still need to sort it.

I am sat with the desk top next to me. I have a Dell screen with BIOS revision 1.0.15 displayed, the intel logo in the right corner, and F2 = setup and F12 = boot menu at top right. nothing else works. the CD draw goes in and out. all of the internal fans are working as is a amber light on the MoBo. The unit does not have a PS2 socket, so no joy there.

I have had a look on the web for 'not posting' as I said in my first post the computer was untouched during our holiday so there is no issue with altered jumpers etc.
Is it a case of needing a new motherboard?

thank you
Nigel

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

Is it a case of needing a new motherboard?

that would be jumping to conclusions ,if I had to jump to one I would go for the power supply first[tray a new or known working used one ] .way cheaper.

I would also pull out the bios battery for a few minutes and then replace it .its the big quarter size silver battery on the motherboard

Edited by caperjac, 30 September 2012 - 08:25 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 nandc

nandc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for your reply, I have removed the battery and will update soon. As for a power supply I will try and find one. The spare power supply that I have has the older connections so will not work.

I did try removing the battery for 5 mins or so, back in now - still the same. Where would you get a power supply from?
thanks

Edited by nandc, 30 September 2012 - 09:26 AM.

#9 nandc

nandc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

Hi, I have tried a new psu. A strange thing happened. The computer fired up but there was nothing on the screen at all. I did not fix the psu inside the case, but plugged the power to the mobo and hdd. I did switch on but other than a light on the board and case being on and the fan starting up nothing else happened.
Does the psu need to be fitted inside the cabinet?
I then attached the old psu and it fired up as usual with the dell first screen and nothing else. I repeated the above with the replacement psu, nothing.
Do you have any other ideas? thanks

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

Hi,

Does the psu need to be fitted inside the cabinet?

No it does not.

If you know that the computer has a case speaker (you used to hear a "beep" when it first started)
  • Remove all hardware so you are left with only the motherboard, the CPU/Fan assembly, and power supply.
  • Turn it on.
  • If the motherboard is functional, it will "beep" an error code.

If it doesn't have a case speaker, you can try to boot with minimal hardware. Try with each power supply.
  • Remove and reseat your video card.
  • If the motherborad has onboard video and you are using an add-in card, revert back to onboard video and remove the add-in card.
  • Remove and reseat the memory. If you have extra memory install, use only the minimum to start the computer (refer to manual).
  • Remove all other add-in PCI cards.
  • Have nothing attached to the case except the keyboard.

Of course you could buy an inexpensive speaker to test it.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users