Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"NEED HELP" Problem with Windows XP setup repair on Dell Optiplex 755

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wwang800

wwang800

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

I decided to upgrade my computer from a Dell Optiplex 745 to a dell Optiplex 755. I took the hard drive out of the dell optiplex 745 and installed on the Dell Optiplex 755. When I powered on the Dell Optiplex 755, it boot into BSOD. I decided to do a repair installation. The repair installation error occurred while trying to install components. I have uploaded an image to give you better explanation of the error message.

Happened during Xp Repair installation
ERROR MESSAGE: The exception unknown software exception (Oxc0000409) occurred in the application at location 0x6976ea96

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

You have changed the hard drive from one system to another...that's not supposed to be done, since the drivers/settings and Windows license for System A...do not necessarily relate at all to System B.

Louis

#3 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

Back in the day this would work for the most part with Windows98, it would just go through the motion of detecting new hardware and eventually boot.

That being said, you can no longer do that as hamluis has stated. The only way its possible is if computer A is exactly the same specs as computer B.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

The above posts are correct. You cannot take a hd from one system, put it in another, and expect it to work. You need to format and reinstall.

#5 wwang800

wwang800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

I have a lot of important programs and file save to that hard drive. I don't think formatting the hard drive is the best solution

#6 wwang800

wwang800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

The above posts are correct. You cannot take a hd from one system, put it in another, and expect it to work. You need to format and reinstall.
I have a lot of important programs and file save to that hard drive. I don't think formatting the hard drive is the best solution

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

Put the hard drive...back in the proper system.

Louis

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:38 AM

Alternatively, you can install a second OS on the drive in the new system and then access the files you need and move them over to the new installation before deleting the older OS install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users