Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't format external harddrive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:34 AM

Hello Bleepers.

I have a 'Mobile Desk' external hard-drive that I use for backing up my c:drive local disc - but I'm now finding I'm unable to format it.

I'm sure nothing is using the ext drive, no windows open, etc.

I'd appreciate any help with this.

When I try to format it, I get a couple of successive notices like this:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:13 AM

Drive manufacturer and model?

If you use it...why are you trying to format it?

Louis

#3 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:31 AM

Drive manufacturer and model?

If you use it...why are you trying to format it?

Louis

I don't know the driver manufacturer. I've only known it as 'Mobile Desk' model HD-337-u2p (160GB).

Something went wrong the last time I backed up to it. It created two separate folders of different capacity. I was having virus problems at the time. I've since taken up a subscription with anti-virus TRENDmicro.

I thought I'd better wipe the disc clean and use my Acronis to make a new back-up.

Thanks for helping.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:03 AM

Beyond Micro seems to be manufacturer and they have gone out of business, from what I see.

160GB drives are rather old...could be a problem with the drive itself or with the enclosure.

<<Something went wrong the last time I backed up to it. It created two separate folders of different capacity. I was having virus problems at the time. I've since taken up a subscription with anti-virus TRENDmicro>>

If you made a backup while infected...that could be a contributing factor, IMO. Since you were infected then...it seeems possible that your O/S may be still infected or is newly infected.

Let's forget about the backup drive, for a minute.

When did this infection take place? What makes you think that you are not infected now? How is your system running now?

Louis

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

I agree with Louis that malware may be the problem. However, have you tried forcing the format from within disk management?

#6 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

I'm sure I have no infection now.

I had a professional winkle out all the nasties and then install TRENDmicro.

I'm wondering if it isn't the 'Acronis True Image' software that isn't corrupted. I'll download an updated version of Acronis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users