Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm going bonkers here!!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ijw

ijw

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:00 AM

G'day all - my first posting to Bleeping Computers,

Some files I create appear to save normally, but, occasionally all content is lost and the files report as having 0 bytes content. All work is lost.
As an example, I might be doing some thing in Photoshop, where I'm working on a project that requires me to continually open/save as I work. I use tiff files and they are large. Normally, I don't have any problem at this point. The problem occurs when when I close down, move onto something else, and then come back. Of all the files saved in this folder, some will have reverted back to 0 bytes content. And the work is lost!
I thought at first it was a Photoshop problem with tiff files, but it can be jpg or excel files as well. And here's the thing, it seems to be restricted to the one folder. ???? I have started to save in different locations, including external USB memory sticks to get around the problem.
As the title suggests - I'M GOING CRAZY!!!! Can someone PLEASE!!! help me out here.
I am using Windows 7, and I regularly run virus and malware/spyware checks [weekly].
So, over to the experts - I hope someone out there has some idea about what's going on here.

Many thanks,
IJW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:38 AM

IJW,

Can you expand a little further on your problem ? Are you having this problem only with files you generate / work on in Photoshop, or is it anything you save in that particular folder ?

If the problem is only with Photoshop files, then it is probably a Photoshop 'problem'. Have you updated it or installed a new version recently ? Have you had a look at the Photoshop forums - they can be very helpful, if only to prove that you are not the only one with the same problem !

If the problem is with any file you save into this folder - documents, spreadsheets, audio, whatever - then the problem is likely to be yours, or at least with your computer. Have you tried saving into a different folder on your hard drive ?

I haven't used Photoshop in a number of years, I switched over to Serif's products because they give about 98% of the functionality for about 25% of the price, and we had a similar problem with the latest version of one of their products - it would only save part of a file. This turned out to be a bug in the software which has since been patched, but it took them quite a while to work out exactly what the problem was before they could fix it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 ijw

ijw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:55 PM

Hi Chris,

Initially I thought it was a Photoshop problem, but I found it was also happening to Excel files as well. And it was only in the one folder.

I am a computer user, not a computer Guru, and as such, I can usually bumble my way out of trouble with the normal day to day problems, but when it comes to the technical stuff - I come up a bit short. However, reasoning that it was only happening in the one folder; maybe it could be a hard drive problem? Corrupted sector or something?

So, since my first posting, I have run chkdsk, created a new folder, moved the files across and then deleted the old folder. And it seems to have worked. I haven't had a problem since. Lets hope it stays that way.

Point taken about the cost of Photoshop products. Here in Australia, for some reason, software is very expensive. Must be because the electrons have so much further to travel. I first started playing around with Gimp and Inkscape, both good products, but not as good as Photoshop. You mention Serif products; to be honest, I have never heard of them. Just had a look at their website; maybe worth a follow up.

Thanks Chris you your help,

Ian

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

Hi Ian,

Glad to hear you have achieved a solution.

However - I stand to be corrected here - I have never heard of one folder that wouldn't let files be saved properly in it and a different one that would. I know you said you have run chkdsk, presumably with 'Result = OK', but I would get into the habit of backing up my work very assiduously just in case your HDD goes down. Since you say you work with large files, a USB hard drive would probably be your best answer.

I keep nearly all my work files in one folder called 'Workfile' which lives on my 'C' drive, but I keep a copy on another drive. From time to time, I delete the backup and copy the current folder across to that drive. This almost certainly isn't the purist way of doing it, but I got caught out a few years ago with a backup tape that refused to translate back to a hard drive. You can reinstall an operating system and all your software for mininum cost if perhaps some considerable inconvenience, but if you lose your own work - it is gone !

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

Computer users fall into two classes :- Those who have lost data, and those who are going to lose data !

#5 ijw

ijw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:38 AM

G'day Chris,

Mate, I have no idea why that worked, but I have not had a single file give me any problems since. So I'm not complaining. Maybe ignorance can work to your advantage occasionally.

I have my machine divided into C: and D: partitions - C: for programs and D: for data. That way it's easier to simply back-up the whole data drive to an external one. But, of course, this backup included the faulty files; so it wasn't of much use.

I popped across to the Serif website and had a look the other day. Quite an impressive group of products. 'specially the range of Starter Editions. Clever way to make people aware of their product range. Might have a little play.

Ciao for now

Ian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users