Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My internet connection shuts down often then pops back on

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jessi2148

Jessi2148

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

Please help! My internet connection (WiFi) shuts down and kicks me offline. I also have a desk top and am not having this problem there. I'm thinking there is a virus!

Jessi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

1) Why do you think it's a virus?

2) Have you run full system scans with BOTH your anti virus app AND with MalwareBytes? If not, please do so now.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

I also have a desk top and am not having this problem << There is only one simple test to find your problem -

The way that you have worded this, you have a laptop with an internet connction problem (is this correct ?)
First - Insert the Ethernet cable that your desktop unit normally uses, into the other computer, and see if this solves the problem (or not) -

If it will not solve your problem, then it is more than just connection problems, and needs further investigation -

Thank You -

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:57 AM

The way that you have worded this, you have a laptop with an internet connction problem (is this correct ?)
First - Insert the Ethernet cable that your desktop unit normally uses, into the other computer, and see if this solves the problem (or not) -

While I suppose it's possible the desktop is using an ethernet cable, according to the first post we're discussing a problem with WiFi.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:22 AM

While I suppose it's possible the desktop is using an ethernet cable, according to the first post we're discussing a problem with WiFi.

Eliminating other options - Is it an infection, as Jessi first feared, or just resetting WiFi that is needed ??? I only posted an option as you did in 2) -

1) Why do you think it's a virus?
2) Have you run full system scans with BOTH your anti virus app AND with MalwareBytes? If not, please do so now.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:12 AM

From the title shows its an on and off wifi connection issue also as these could be a hardware problem, just probably. Do you have other wifi devices connecting to the network and experiencing the same problem?

Tekken

#7 Jessi2148

Jessi2148
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

From the title shows its an on and off wifi connection issue also as these could be a hardware problem, just probably. Do you have other wifi devices connecting to the network and experiencing the same problem?

My phone uses wifi and has no problem that I know of. And as far as I can tell, my desk top does not either. My norton ran out. Is there any program already on my laptop that has a scanner? Or a free website that will scan? Or perhaps free antivirus? I'm terrified that my laptop might crash because the problem is still continuing and My life is my laptop (job, leisure, college).

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

There are any number of free anti virus apps - Microsoft Security Essentials is probably among the best as are Avast and Avira. But if you've been running without an anti virus app that may be at the heart of your problem

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

Please do update us if you have installed a new antivirus and removed all currents and run a complete scan. The disconnection problem to your home network might relate or not. It could be a wifi driver problem, range, interferences or a router settings needed to be altered but hoping that it will be solved with the last action taken. :)

Tekken

#10 Jessi2148

Jessi2148
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

thank you all very much. I will keep you updated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users