Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching Graphics Cards

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tarlin

Tarlin

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

I'm upgrading my Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 with a new Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 pretty soon and was wondering if it'd be safe not to delete the drivers. Looking through the AMD site they seem to be the same ones but I'm not entirely certain, can anyone help me out on this so I don't potentially screw things up for a bit?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:55 AM

There's really nothing to screw up. Even if it is the same driver, you should reinstall it after replacing the card. There are a number of operations that occur during the installation of a driver (including testing the new hw, making sure the system sees and recognizes the new card, and enabling any new features the card may have). Whether or not it's absolutely necessary, it's good practice - and there's certainly no downside to doing so.

Uninstall the old driver (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx)

Then either install the driver on the cd that comes with the new card or go to the ATI website, download the latest driver for your card, and install it.

If you are concerned about ANYTHING any time you are getting ready to install new hardware or software, you should create a backup image of your drive. Then you can do pretty much anything you like and you'll always have a safe haven. EVERYONE should use disc imaging software on a regular basis anyay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users