Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is There a Way to Batch Edit Folder Properties?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Sardonicus

Sardonicus

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

So here's what I'm going through now.

I have about 125 Gb of music on my computer. This is what I am attempting to do:
  • Music Folder > Artist > Album(s) > song files.extension
  • For the Album(s) folders, I want the template to be "music" and with details view.
  • For the main Music Folder and all Artist folders, I want them to the "general" template with Icon view (half way between large and extra large).
What I have done so far:
  • Select my main Music Folder,set it to "music" template and checked 'apply to sub-folders'. Apply and OK. Refresh.
  • Set the view to "details", go to Organize > Folder and Search Options, view tab, apply to all folders of this type.
  • Select the main Music Folder again, set it to "general" template without 'apply to sub-folders' checked and hit apply.
  • Changed the view of main Music Folder to "icon" view.

So far it is Music Folder (general template) > Artist (music template) > Album(s) (music template) > song files.extension

Now here's the problem, if I change the Music Folder to have general items template and apply to sub-folders, it's going to also apply it to the album folders I don't want it applied to.

I tried selecting all of the Artist folders at once and right-click, edit and change to "general" template (without checking the apply to sub-folders), but it will not batch change all of them and will only change the one that I click on. Without this simple ability, I am going to have to manually select all 526 Artist folders and individually change each one to general.

So is there a way to batch edit this at all (either in Windows or with a third-party program, really any way at all)?

Edited by Sardonicus, 20 August 2012 - 10:23 AM.

Kyle Sardonicus Amadeus Stanfield
Writer, Philosopher, Composer/Musician, Artist
Comprehensive Psychology Major, Troy University
www.impetus-aesthetica.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users