Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dwhit24311

dwhit24311

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

I have a HP Mini that will not boot safe mode, last known config just keeps cycling.
The error is :
STOP: c000021a {FATAL SYSTEM ERROR}
The windows Login Process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0.0000006 (0.00000000 0.00000000).
The system has been shut down.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:21 AM

Are you saying that the drive boots properly into normal mode?

Worth a look, IMO: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669 AND http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/stop0x00000006.htm .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 August 2012 - 06:24 AM.

#3 dwhit24311

dwhit24311
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

No it does not boot in any mode.

#4 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

Just to add to this BSOD....

I worked on a computer with this exact error this weekend. No matter what mode you would pick it would go straight to a BSOD with not too much info but it would mention C000021a.

I ran ERD Commander which allowed me to do a system restore. I got the computer going again, and it was working great until I got notified there were critical updates and I installed them. I rebooted after the updates and once again was treated to the same BSOD. I did a system restore once again, but this time I installed updates one at a time and rebooted after each update to try and find out which one was causing the issue.

I finally isolated the update to KB2731847. It was an update that was issued just recently with this last patch Tuesday from Microsoft. If I install that update on that computer it BSOD. I hid the update for now until I can figure out what in that update is causing the BSOD.

Being that its a critical update that Microsoft pushed out and most likely the cause of your BSOD you may be able to get Free help from Microsoft.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

<<Being that its a critical update that Microsoft pushed out and most likely the cause of your BSOD...>>

That's quite a generalization...considering the varied number of reasons for BSODs and the large numbers of XP users who seemingly had no problem with your suspected cause.

I suspect a larger perspective...may be needed by the OP.

The cause for BSODs can be anything from malware to file corruption to hardware problem...I'd hate to ignore all those possibilities and focus only on a MS KB/update that is not problematical for all.

Louis

#6 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

Yes hamluis I completely agree with you, I was just sharing the info I found out with the system I was working on. I understand everyones system is different.

On the one I was working on, I had verified there was not malwaare or viruses on it, and my only cause for the BSOD was that particular update.

Once again just giving some suggestions of what to try. Maybe re-wording my statement might be in order to (perhaps, may be could be the cause instead of likely the cause....

Edited by Firefoxthebomb, 21 August 2012 - 01:06 PM.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

:thumbup2: , understood :).

Louis

#8 dwhit24311

dwhit24311
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

This HP mini does not have any other boot options other than the internal it will not boot on any other drives and does not seem to have a recovery partition. I don't think this is fixable.

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:09 AM

Did anything special happen before this problem started?
Usually HP comes with recovery partition of some sort, we can look for that as well.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#10 dwhit24311

dwhit24311
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

Client is not sure. Maybe dropped?

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

Lets see if there is at least a recovery partition.

Try this please. You will need a USB drive.

Download http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/unetbootin-xpud-windows-latest.exe & http://noahdfear.net/downloads/bootable/xPUD/xpud-0.9.2.iso to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Insert your USB drive
  • Press Start > My Computer > right click your USB drive > choose Format > Quick format
  • Double click the unetbootin-xpud-windows-387.exe that you just downloaded
  • Press Run then OK
  • Select the DiskImage option then click the browse button located on the right side of the textbox field.
  • Browse to and select the xpud-0.9.2.iso file you downloaded
  • Verify the correct drive letter is selected for your USB device then click OK
  • It will install a little bootable OS on your USB device
  • Once the files have been written to the device you will be prompted to reboot ~ do not reboot and instead just Exit the UNetbootin interface
  • After it has completed do not choose to reboot the clean computer simply close the installer
  • Remove the USB & CD and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer with the CD you just burned
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • Gently tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type the following and press enter:

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

• Press Enter
  • After it has finished a file will be located on your USB drive named mbr.bin
  • Remove the USB drive and insert it back in your working computer and navigate to mbr.bin, zip it up and attach it to your next reply.

This will allow me to have a look at the MasterBootRecord of your drive and see if it is infected.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#12 dwhit24311

dwhit24311
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

This device recognizes no other drive to boot from only from internal hard drive. {HDD : PM-TOSHIBA MK6]

#13 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

Hello,

Try this:
With the bootable USB drive inserted into the Mini HP, power on the computer. keep tapping the F9 key at the HP Logo. A Boot Menu should appear. Select the USB flash drive and press <Enter>.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users