Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 won't boot after defrag

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 IDiggity

IDiggity

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

Hi all,

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. I normally dual-boot Windows XP and Windows 7 from separate partitions on the same physical drive. Now I cannot get Windows 7 Professional to boot after defragmenting the volume on which it resides from a different OS (Windows XP). Upon selecting Win7 from my boot menu, it initially gave a bootmgr error that a critical file could not be found.

I booted from the Win7 DVD and selected to repair my Win7 installation. I clicked on the details and the log indicated that partmgr.sys was found to be corrupt and had been replaced. Upon restarting, the Win7 animated logo appeared, but after that the screen went black and the computer rebooted.

I confirmed that partmgr.sys was replaced by booting into XP and looking for the file on the Win7 partition. I ran startup repair from the DVD again, but it said it replaced the same file- partmgr.sys - again. Chkdsk comes up clean, and the sfc /scannow command won't run because "there is a repair operation schedules that requires a reboot ."

There has got to be a way to get back into Win7 given that all I did was defrag...

Please help if you can. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IDiggity

IDiggity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Update:

I tried booting into Win 7 Safe Mode, but that also resulted in automatic system restart. So I tried disabling auto restart on system failure and it revealed an error...

BAD IMAGE: C:\Windows\System32\sxs.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

IDiggity,

I can think of several reasons why XP defrag may be responsible for damaging your Win 7 installation, but that is by the by ! A quick and dirty solution which might work, and if it is only the one faulty .DLL file, would be to :
(1) Move your existing sxs.dll file to some safe location,
(2) Copy this file from another computer running Win 7, and paste it into your System32 folder in place of the damaged or non-compatible file.

If this doesn't work, then you still have the original file which you can put back !

Best of luck,

Chris Cosgrove

#4 IDiggity

IDiggity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

Thanks for the obvious solution! I must say, I'm completely dumbfounded that this worked.

I couldn't rename, delete or move sxs.dll from within WinXP. Instead, I had to boot the Win7 DVD, navigate to the command prompt within repair tools, and rename it from there. Then I was able to boot XP and copy over a replacement sxs.dll taken from another computer running Win7. After that, I was able to boot Win7!

Any next steps I should take to make sure I don't get errors creeping in? System File Checker maybe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users