Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive constantly being accessed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Xion385

Xion385

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

Hard Drive: 1TB WD Caviar Green
MB: ASUS P8P67 M-Pro
CPU: Intel I5 2500K

It's more of annoyance if anything, but my hard drive light on my desktop keeps flickering like a lighthouse signal for the past couple of weeks now. I'm not entirely sure what's accessing it. Even just right after everything has been booted up. I've used Malwarebytes, ESET, and AVG, but they haven't caught anything.

Anyone else had this problem before can help me figure this out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 komodo dragon

komodo dragon

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

my win xp laptop dose that when i watch videos on youtube and as soon as it dose that the videos stats to stutter at the same time the cpu hits 100%

Edited by komodo dragon, 19 August 2012 - 08:43 PM.

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:12 PM

Task manager < View < Select Columns Checkmark IO reads and IO writes and see what is eating up your hard drive time.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Xion385

Xion385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

avgtray.exe

sidebar.exe - The only thing on my sidebar is two weather gadgets and the AVG gadget

edit:

csrss.exe - also has the most I/0 reads.

Edited by Xion385, 20 August 2012 - 12:00 AM.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:16 PM

If you are using the windows gadgets, please read here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/advisory/2719662

Tekken

#6 Xion385

Xion385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:26 PM

If you are using the windows gadgets, please read here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/advisory/2719662

Hmm.. it didn't fix it. The only gadgets that I was using were two default weather gadgets and AVG sidebar.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

AVG has been known to be a system hogging protection software so you might wanna try other lightweight but effective antivirus such as Microsoft Security Essentials. Is ESET also installed with AVG?

Tekken

#8 Xion385

Xion385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for the tip. I uninstalled AVG for Security Essentials. It does feel lighter, but it does scan slower. I was only running the ESET online version to scan my computer and uninstalled it right after.

ESET didn't find anything. As well as Malwarebytes and Security Essentials. So I think whatever is accessing my hard drive isn't a virus or malware. I'm just not sure what it is. My hard drive light just flashes every two seconds. It's not really bugging me too much, but I just want to know what is causing it.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:36 AM

There is not much of an explanation really as I always go for the Task Manager to speculate on certain processes and performance which is reliable for reading background services or programs running. I always look for the CPU and memory usage in connection with hdd constant blinking but is not well connected somehow... As long as nothing is wrong with your computer I would ignore this blinking problem which seems to be a not so critical issue. Use also this just in case http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/startuplite/

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users