Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is awfully slow

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sirzune

sirzune

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

I don't know what happened, but just recently my computer has been running slow. I ran Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and SpyBot, but the computer is clean. I just ran ComboFix and would like to post the results here. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

1) Define slow. EXACTLY what is going on?

2) Do you have an anti virus app installed and resident?

#3 akoch

akoch

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and SpyBot

SpyBot used to run TeaTimer.exe which was a memory hog.

I usually just run MS Security Essentials as antivirus while occasionally scanning with mbam if I feel like somethings up.

Seems to me like most people overload their PCs with antimalware/antivirus programs, and also install bogus stuff like REGMECHANIC or REGCURE PRO or something.

All of it hogs memory, just remember that! :P

(I'd definitely check task manager for teatimer, kill it, and see if that helps)

You can also disable startup programs via start->run->msconfig. (I typically will disable EVERYTHING except antivirus if it exists in the startup list.. but then again, I really like fast boot times)

Hope this helps/helps you understand!

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

Please do not follow the above advice to use msconfig to make permanent changes to startup items. For now, let's get some answers to the questions I asked a see where we are.

#5 akoch

akoch

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

Haha. "Permanent"

You're funny.

You can have this one, sir.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

It's not that the advice to disable startup items is bad, it's just that msconfig was designed to be a diagnostic utility and should not be used to make permanent changes. There are any number for good, small utilities designed for just that purpose. And I do agree about tea timer.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 20 August 2012 - 12:11 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote. ~ OB

#7 sirzune

sirzune
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

1) Define slow. EXACTLY what is going on?

2) Do you have an anti virus app installed and resident?

1: Slow-- It takes a little time to open files, for desktop icons to appear after booting up-- just generally not the smooth, quick response of a well-tuned system.

2: I use Vipre and Zemana Antilogger. That's it for startup. Any suggestions?

Thanks

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

1) You said you ran scans with SAS & MB, did you also run a full scan with Vipre? If not, please do so.

2) Does the system seem to run normally in safe mode?

3) Have you tried a selective startup / clean boot? If not, let's do that:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users