Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Burn files to DVD no worky

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewSe

AndrewSe

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

I've a little issue I am currently trying to resolve. First I have two disc trays in my PC tower, one a DVD rom and one a CD.

I'm trying to do a back up of all my files (about 2 gig) and am trying to burn the folder to a DVD. I am not sure if the DVD Rom can write as well, I heard some can, so I am trying in the CD drive. Everytime I try burning nero it says please insert writeable disc but I just bought some 4.7 gig clean discs and it still saying it.

CD drive is HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8523B
DVD is HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B

I am now trying to do it in Windows explorer and using DVD and it keeps asking me to insert a disk into D (DVD) drive but there's a disk in it.

Any thoughts on what to check next?

Thanks

A

Edited by AndrewSe, 19 August 2012 - 10:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:02 AM

CD drive is HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8523B
  • CD-RW means it will write (burn) a CD (that's the W).
  • The R means it will write to re-writable CDs also.
    You cannot use a DVD disk in this CD unit.
DVD is HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B
  • DVD-ROM means it will read (ONLY) a DVD disk, but it will not write to a DVD disk.
    ROM = Read Only Memory
  • It will likely write to a CD.
You wrote: "... I just bought some 4.7 gig clean discs and it still saying it."
Sorry, but you cannot use those DVD disks to write to in either of those optical drives. You are going to need to use CDs instead.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 AndrewSe

AndrewSe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

Ups, well I can't find any CD discs larger than 700mb and I wanted to back up about 3.5 Gig of data. I ended up networking my other laptop and pc then moved the files that way. In future I am thinking of an external HD so I can back up regularly.

A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users