Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Before I Wipe and Reinstall

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewSe

AndrewSe

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

Hi

I was just wanting to make sure if there's anything else I need to do before I run DBAN to clear my PC and reinstall XP. The reason I ask is my PC is a custom build - (I never built it) and I'm not sure if running DBAN wipes anything else away apart from the OS?

The reason I am doing a clean install is it has not had anything done to it for quite a few years and really needs a spring clean.

I got a KM400 ASUS motherboard disc so after DBAN will I need to do anything with this?

I was also wanting to find out what virus checks I can run to make sure my machine is clean before reinstall. I ask this because I have another thread on here about my laptop that seems to have aleurian virus in the MBR, so I wanted to scan for anything like that.

Thanks for any suggestions

A

P.S. Apologies if this happens to be in the wrong forum, I thought it is XP so post it there.

Edited by AndrewSe, 19 August 2012 - 07:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

I was also wanting to find out what virus checks I can run to make sure my machine is clean before reinstall. I ask this because I have another thread on here about my laptop that seems to have aleurian virus in the MBR, so I wanted to scan for anything like that.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic465359.html/

Follow the instructions given by Elise

#3 AndrewSe

AndrewSe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

Will do thanks.
A

Edited by AndrewSe, 19 August 2012 - 08:45 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

Since you have an open malware topic currently at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic465359.html/ , you need to either complete that topic or have it closed, indicating to Elise that you intend to do a clean instsall of the O/S.

Once that is done, you may PM me and I will reopen this topic, if that is what you desire.