Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PS3 won't connect to computer as media server

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 neon_boy82

neon_boy82

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

Hi everyone.I hope this is the right place for this. I use my Playstation 3 as a media server to stream movies off of my computer. Anyway I picked up a wireless router from a yard sale and hooked it up. My old router was not wireless. I can connect to the internet with my playstation but it won't connect to my computer. Before I switched it everything worked fine. I have disabled all the firewalls and turned on remote management on the router but the playstation won't find my computer. Need some help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

What brand and model is the router? How is each device connected (wired or wireless)?

#3 neon_boy82

neon_boy82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

it is a linksys E4200 by cisco. my home pc is a wired connection and so is my ps3. I am running windows 7 on my pc.

#4 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

-Do you have a static IP address assigned to either device?
-When you connected the computer to the new router, did it ever ask you what type of network it was (home, work, public)? If so, you
didn't pick public did you?
-Are you able to ping the PS3 from your pc?

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to find the best place to start the troubleshooting.

#5 neon_boy82

neon_boy82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

my computer is setup on my home network. The ps3 is connected through a DHCP connection but I had to configure the ip settings manually. I had to to the same thing on my old dlink router. yes i am able to ping the ps3 with my router.

#6 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

Have you seen this? It appears there is a firmware update for that router for media center issues.

Before you do that if you know the IP address of the PS3, can you ping the PS3 from the PC?
Is the PC getting on the internet?
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users