Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help my cpu won't boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 soliz53

soliz53

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

Hi i have an issue with my laptop windows 7 sony VPCF111FX. It won't boot up or go into safe mode. It keeps trying to run startup repair i can't get it past that screen no matter what i try. I have received help here before i hope i could get it again. thanks in advance guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElFasso

ElFasso

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:52 AM

Can you try this;

1. A. Restart the computer.
1 .B. Press and tap the F8 key about every second until you see the screenshot below.

Posted Image

2. Choose "Repair Your Computer".

3. A. Choose your keyboard:

Posted Image

3. B. Login with your credentials:

Posted Image

3. C. Try to use first "Startup Repair" or "System Restore" if Startup Repair didn't work for you.

Posted Image

Edited by ElFasso, 19 August 2012 - 04:52 AM.

#3 soliz53

soliz53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

Every time I restart my laptop it goes right into startup repair mode ad after it is done it says " windows cannot repair this computer automatically" I click finish and my CPU shutdown. As for the system restore option I got that far and there is no restore points avalibal.

#4 soliz53

soliz53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

I also look at the repaire details and it says
Boot manager failed to find OS loader error code =0x490

#5 soliz53

soliz53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

i found a similar problem another site but i can't do what it says to do due to the fact that i don't have a windows 7 disk and the one that came with my cpu does not seem to work i was told that it does not work due to me upgrading the hard drive to a 750gb vice the 500gb it came with. anyway the windows install currently on my laptop was done by a cpu repaire place and i was not giving the install disk they used to fix it. Could i just download a new disk and try the method describe in the post below?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/automated-startup-repair-fails-cannot-find-os/81789756-858e-4adc-a25b-2c0d0c234e0d

had the same problem on one of our laptops. This has 2GB of memory so it appears to be related to that and Windows updates. I did the following from the following Microsoft article which resolved the issue for me http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-gb.

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:

• Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
  • Press a key when you are prompted.
  • Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then clickNext.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
  • Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.
Note To start the computer from the Windows Vista or Windows 7 DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer or contact the computer manufacturer.Posted ImageBack to the topBootrec.exe options The Bootrec.exe tool supports the following options. Use the option that is appropriate for your situation.

Note If rebuilding the BCD does not resolve the startup issue, you can export and delete the BCD, and then run this option again. By doing this, you make sure that the BCD is completely rebuilt. To do this, type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:
  • bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
  • c:
  • cd boot
  • attrib bcd -s -h -r
  • ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
  • bootrec /RebuildBcd
/FixMbr The /FixMbr option writes a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-compatible MBR to the system partition. This option does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to remove non-standard code from the MBR. /FixBoot The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that is compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Use this option if one of the following conditions is true:
  • The boot sector has been replaced with a non-standard Windows Vista or Windows 7 boot sector.
  • The boot sector is damaged.
  • An earlier Windows operating system has been installed after Windows Vista or Windows 7 was installed. In this scenario, the computer starts by using Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe).
/ScanOs The /ScanOs option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, this option displays the entries that are currently not in the BCD store. Use this option when there are Windows Vista or Windows 7 installations that the Boot Manager menu does not list. /RebuildBcdThe /RebuildBcd option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, this option lets you select the installations that you want to add to the BCD store. Use this option when you must completely rebuild the BCD.

After following the above i then ran the following from command prompt:

bootrec /fixmbr

then

bootrec /fixboot

This resolved the issue for me and allowed me to log on to the PC in its previous working state. Great stuff.

Hope this works for you!

#6 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

Has it been doing this since the upgrade? If so, take it back...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#7 soliz53

soliz53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

Nope that repair was done over an yr ago.

#8 soliz53

soliz53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

is there anything else you want me to try? if not ill just try to install windows 7 using my restore cd but this time ill partition my hd so that i have one 500gb partition and one 250gb. i think that might work. any help or advice would help at this point i really dont want to loose all my stuff i have on my hd.

#9 soliz53

soliz53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

well since there is no one that could help me with this issue.. just close this thread thank you. ill just reload windows and start over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users