Here is the problem I have encountered.
1. When I power on the laptop goes into the initial welcome display screen that gives you the F2 and F12 options and the Dell Inspiron 700m logo and the Intel Celeron Mobile Tech logo screen.
2. It then goes directly into the F8 safe modes selection screen with the various safe mode options.
3. When I select any of the available options, i.e., SAFE MODE; SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING; SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT; LAST KNOW GOOD CONFIG; or START WINDOWS NORMALLY; the laptop goes to the Windows XP splash screen for a short while and then keeps retuning to the F8 safe mode selection screen.
4. This cycle repeats every time without being able to actually get into safe mode to do a system restore or take any other action.
Here is what I have done:
1. I have connected to an external monitor with the same results
2. I have removed the RAM module and moved it to the other slot; same results
3. I have replaced the RAM module with a new one; same results
4. I have removed the HDD and put it back; same results
5. I have ran the F12 Dell Diagnostics and found one error code: 1000-0146 Drive Self Test Failed not sure if this applies to the HDD or to the IDE CD/DVD drive that hasnt worked for many years.
6. I have the original Dell Operating System Reinstallation CD and have connected an external CD Rom drive to the USB port but unfortunately when I try to change the booting seq there is no option for an external USB CD drive; I have options for USB HDD; USB FDD; IDE HDD; and IDE CD drive
Short of pulling out the HDD and connecting it with a USB cable interface to a working computer to pull out the data I dont have any more ideas as to what to do next.
Here is the laptop info: Dell Inspiron 700m
CPU: Intel Pentium M Processor 755 (2 ghz/400mhz FSB)
RAM: 1 gb
OS: WinXP Pro SP2 upgraded to SP3
HDD: 80gb Ultra ATA
Optical Drive: 8x CD/DVD burner (NOT WORKING does not read or play any CDs)
I am not sure if this should posted here in the Operating System forum or if it should go in the Hardware forum.
Edited by hamluis, 01 September 2012 - 08:00 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.