Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive letter changed and cannot install drivers

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 ikan

ikan

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

I suspected virus damage. My fix was a clean install of WinXP SP2 including formating the hard drive. Now my ethernet is not recognized and my DVD is assigned to Drive H (there are only 2 drives total C and H). I have tryed several times to install new drivers for my ethernet and several other drivers including the mother board. Each attempt appears to ignore the .exe totaly. I suspect the bios has been changed but cannot locate a replacement version to test. Is there someother place I should be looking for the fix or another fix I can try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,183 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hi,

Can you post the computer Model and Brand?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 ikan

ikan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

Sure, the puter is a private build by a local retailer, the mother board is ASUS P5L-VM1394 with AMIBIOS Ver.0903 dated 06/06/07.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,183 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

Sure, the puter is a private build by a local retailer, the mother board is ASUS P5L-VM1394 with AMIBIOS Ver.0903 dated 06/06/07.

Did you visit the Asus site to download the drivers?
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5LVM_1394/#download

First you should install the Chipset Driver, restart and then install the Network Driver for Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet.

Edited by Rui Paz, 18 August 2012 - 02:55 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 ikan

ikan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

trying both installs now back soon with result.....

#6 ikan

ikan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

The Chipset install seemed to go smoothly but the LAN install seems to be fouling the works. The puter will not boot with the new drivers. It stops with only the black splash screen and will not continue. It will boot to Safe Mode but not Safe Mode with networking.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,183 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

The Chipset install seemed to go smoothly but the LAN install seems to be fouling the works. The puter will not boot with the new drivers. It stops with only the black splash screen and will not continue. It will boot to Safe Mode but not Safe Mode with networking.

In that case Boot in Safe Mode, open the Device Manager and remove the network driver, then reboot and boot normally it should start detecting the hardware and ask for the drivers.

Edit: Can you take a screenshot of the Device Manager with the Network Adapters expanded and upload to some place like http://tinypic.com ?

Edited by Rui Paz, 18 August 2012 - 04:03 PM.

___
Rui

#8 ikan

ikan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

uninstalled the diver and like clockwork win found the missing device upon startup....then froze......
this is the screen shot after uninstall...Posted Image

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

During all these trials...did you ever run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...to verify that the hard drive is functionally worth the effort?

Louis

#10 ikan

ikan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

not having much idea what diagnosics you refer to I must say...no. However I can say that during the 10 or so reinstalls it took to get to this point no flags were ever raised by the disk checking utilities Windows runs prior to installation.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

Those Windows utilities...don't really check the hard drive...they check for existing file systems, partitions, Windows installs.

Double-click on Disk Drives in Device Manager...that will tell you your hard drive manufacturer and model.

Then...go to the website of the manufacturer...download/burn the appropriate hard drive diagnostic...and run the long test. Please read the instructions provided by the HD manufacturer...for using the utility provided.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#12 ikan

ikan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

Data Lifeguard says the drive is good...so I suppose my problems still lie somewhere in the software....

#13 ikan

ikan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

OK...here is a new wrinkle...the ethernet adapter is working so I have access to the network and internet, but something is still blocking any attempt to update drivers or gather missing Windows Updates...any thoughts?

#14 ElFasso

ElFasso

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:26 AM

Are you behind a router? Sometimes if the router is infected by the previous infection the new system gets back reinfected.

You said, you did a clean install of WinXP SP2. Is that a slipstreamed version (XP cd + SP2)?

#15 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,183 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

OK...here is a new wrinkle...the ethernet adapter is working so I have access to the network and internet, but something is still blocking any attempt to update drivers or gather missing Windows Updates...any thoughts?

Hi,

Before trying to install new drivers you should first open the Device Manager and remove the devices, PCI Device, Unknown device and Video Controller from the Other Devices section.

If the computer is having random lockups you should check for hardware problems, entering the BIOS and doing a Load Bios Defaults some times can help also testing the memory with Memtest86 to make sure its ok.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users