Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apache Open Office

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cmasury

cmasury

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

Hi there, I dont have a lot of computer skills so here goes. I moved the HDD from a old computer that failed due to a power supply. The old HDD from the first computer is now local drive D in the working computer. I was unable to find the excel program on D drive so I installed Open Office on my computer. How do I move the info from the excel WKS file to the Open Office Spreadsheet or Open the Excel file so I can continue using it, if that is possible. Thanks for reading this post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

Open the Open Office Calc. program. Once it's open, then open the excel file you want to work on. It should open okay. That said, I haven't used complex stuff in my excel program, so if you have such stuff in yours, I don't know how well it will translate into Open Office.

~ OB :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 cmasury

cmasury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:32 AM

Thanks for replying. I already have tried that. Any other suggestions?

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:10 AM

Excel files normally have a .xls suffix, (that's the case with my 2003 version).

WKS files generally relate to Works or Lotus.

Having said that, I have ancient WKS files, (over 12 years old), which open in OpenOffice.

Perhaps the file is corrupted. What error messages do you get, (if any), when attempting to open the file with OpenOffice.

#5 cmasury

cmasury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:52 PM

Thanks for replying. It is a spreadsheet, maybe on Works or Excel. When I open up Open Office Calc it displays an empty spreadsheet. With Calc open,I try opening the wks file and there are no error messages.Still doesnt open the WKS file. We dont have XP works on the computer we are now using.

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

Depending on the sensitivity of your file, you could try this program, to view and / or convert:

http://www.docspal.com/

.wks files are included in the supported formats.
(my .wks file was coverted to .xls correctly and downloaded by .zip file).

Read the FAQs first; they say they dump files after 5 days.
At your own risk, as always.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users