Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NET 3.5 fails to install

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

Sorry... It's been a long week or so here, lots going on... I'm leaving tomorrow so after today this pc will be someone else's problem.
I tried installing from the desktop again and got the following:

[08/18/12,12:35:51] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
[08/18/12,13:01:02] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
[08/18/12,13:21:15] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
[08/18/12,15:27:51] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
[08/18/12,15:47:28] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
[08/19/12,12:55:48] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
[08/19/12,12:56:15] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a is not installed.
[08/20/12,09:35:40] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603
[08/20/12,09:36:13] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a is not installed.

In add/remove programs, .NET framework 2.0 is listed along with two security updates KB922770 and KB917283
I'm not sure what 2.0a is but I suppose that bit is useful info.
Along with being able to see that log file, they give the option to view a readme file... I browsed it, it mentions some issues with 2.0 but it didn't look specific to this issue.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/2/8/a2807f78-c861-4b66-9b31-9205c3f22252/dotNet35SP1Readme.htm

Oh, as I mentioned before, I was going to try and uninstall framework 2.0 and reinstall it or something but I was not able to.

Edited by millipede, 20 August 2012 - 08:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

From the log its clear that there is issue with Framework 2.0,lets remove all the versions

Download

Dotnet cleanup

Extract and launch it,click on CLEAN UP NOW option.This should all your dotnet framework versions.Restart the PC after removal and install updates

good luck

Edited by narenxp, 20 August 2012 - 09:10 AM.

#18 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

Ran the tool... it rebooted the computer. 3.5 continued to try to install, and continued to fail. I went back to add/remove programs and saw 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 were still all there. 4 was gone as I was told by a program "garmin lifetime updater" or something. It's for my sister's GPS unit or something. It required 4. something and somehow, that was the only one that it removed.
I removed 1.1 and 3.0 from add/remove programs but 2.0 wont budge... Here is what I get when I try to uninstall from there:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'netfx2.msi' in the box below.

After clicking cancel to close that, another popup "the installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it."

I am going to try running the cleanup tool again on just 2.0 and see where it goes but I have a feeling it wont work. We'll see.

#19 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

I am going to try running the cleanup tool again on just 2.0 and see where it goes but I have a feeling it wont work. We'll see.

:thumbup2:

#20 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

Ran it... looks like it worked BUT it left itself on the add/remove programs list. The updates for 2.0 are listed there still anyway but it seems 2.0 itself is not there... now when update runs, it doesn't try to install ANY .NET stuff.
So...... I'd like to tell my sister she doesn't need that program to update her GPS but, I don't really know... it said it needs .NET 4. something.
At MS updates page, 1.1 and the 3.5 service pack are the only .NET things listed.
Should I forget about all the .NET stuff? Or should I install them all 1 at a time starting with 1.1? Or should I go ahead with the service pack? Not sure why a service pack would be listed as optional software when no .NET is actually installed.
Where should I go from here?
And thanks very much for all the help so far.

#21 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

Download

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1639

Install it and restart the PC,now go ahead and install 3.5

#22 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

So far, so good... those both went in. Now installing 4.0 as it's needed by that one app... Says it needs 4.0.30319
So attempting to install that from windows update, listed as an optional software update.

We'll see how that one goes. In the meantime... there is one issue. I installed 3.5 from the download I made yesterday instead of using windows update. Now windows update is STILL shows the 3.5 sp 1 as an important update, even though it's actually installed......
and....
I might be having trouble installing 4... installation seems to be hanging... we'll see...
Grrr... I wish I could get her to just get a new computer. Oh well...

#23 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

Now windows update is STILL shows the 3.5 sp 1 as an important update, even though it's actually installed......

you could uninstall 3.5 and install it via windows update.Lets see if that works

#24 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

That worked. :)
4 is in... everything is in. There's some "optional" updates for 4... should I install them? And, if they are for stability and such, why are they just optional?
Anyway... thanks for the help. Glad I will be leaving without that update icon stuck in the corner all the time.

#25 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

Yes,install it,it may help you in future.There are softwares that needs dotnet framework 4 to work.

good luck

#26 XML2005

XML2005

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

I had a similar problem today, and after considerable research, it took me all day to resolve. Perhaps my solution may help someone else.

Problem: Could not run Microsoft Updates due to .Net 1.1 corrupted, which resulted in Error Code 0x643.

Resolved as follows:

Shutdown computer completely.
Start computer.
Click on the Start menu, choose Run and type msiexec /unregister
Click on the Start menu, choose Run and type msiexec /regserver
Click on the Start menu, choose Run and type services.msc
Double-click the Distributed Transaction Coordinator service.
If it has been started, close the button to stop it. Then in the Startup type drop-down, select Disabled.
Click OK, and close the Services control panel.
Restart the computer.

From http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824643:
Locate the Dotnetfx.exe file that you used to install the .NET Framework 1.1. To do this, use one of the following methods:
If you installed the .NET Framework 1.1 from a CD or from a DVD (I used my Windows XP CD for this.), insert the installation disc in your CD drive or DVD drive.
If you installed the .NET Framework 1.1 from your hard disk, download the .NET Framework 1.1 Setup program to your hard disk.
If you installed the .NET Framework 1.1 from a network drive, reconnect to the network drive.
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, run the following command:
%InstallationPath%\dotnetfx.exe /t:%temp% /c:"msiexec.exe /fvecms %temp%\netfx.msi"
Note %InstallationPath% is a placeholder for the path of the Dotnetfx.exe file that you located in step 1.

Restart.
If applicable, change Distributed Transaction Coordinator service back to its original value.
Check for Microsoft Updates, and run them. Should now run okay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users