Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NET 3.5 fails to install

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

I'm visiting my mom and trying to get her computer running a bit more smoothly. If it were up to me I'd have her buy a new one but she doesn't use the computer often enough to justify it.

The icon showing there are windows updates to be installed is there all the time. I've installed as many as I could find but I can't get Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 to install successfully. I've been googling the issue and it seems common enough but, I've found SO many different ways to approach it I just don't know which is right, which will work, and which is easiest.

Some details on the computer...
It's HP
Windows XP professional version 2002 Service pack 3
Pentium 4 2.8Ghz and 1GB of ram. (I'm hoping to triple that before I leave but we'll see...)

Currently has .NET framework 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and one that says 4 client profile.
These are all listed in the add/remove programs.

I appreciate any advice in how to approach this. I think that update was just hidden before, and I can hide it again. I don't believe that is necessary for what she does on the computer but I want to leave this thing working as well as possible when I leave in a few days.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

What are the error messages generated when the install fails?

Louis

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

I just tried it again to see if there was an error reported and it just said something like... the following updates were not installed
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86

no error code was listed there.
So, I went to the windows update page to see what is listed there and see the following:
Error Code: 0x643

#4 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

...Try this, you might have a corrupted installer.
Install current version installer MSI 4.5 from link, restart, then try installing your .NET Framework 3.5. You should also be able to get ".NET Framework 4 Extended" to go under your "Client Profile" if you have a program that requires it. From what I've researched, XP doesn't require it, but I have a "Seatools" HDD diagnosis tool from Seagate that does. If you have any other updates that were hidden because they wouldn't install, & they were hidden because they were a PITA to look at, the new MSI 4.5 installer may help with that too.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8483
good luck...

#5 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

I looked up how to see what version of windows installer is already on the computer...
Windows Installer. V 4.5.6001.22159
Is what is already on it.

I googled the error code only and found the following page with TWO methods to fix the problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982
Method 1 was to run a mrfixit program. I did that and had no luck, though I'm thinking I'll restart and try again before giving method #2 a try. Hmmm... method #2 says to repair the .NET framework. But when you click on that link it only expands method #1 so, I don't see the directions on how to repair the framework. That's not exactly helpful.
I'll restart the computer and try the install again... and check back here as well.

#6 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

this may be the method #2 they were talking about.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

#7 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

...if still trouble after that, maybe running "Windows File Protection - System File Checker" & then restart may help

START → RUN → type sfc /scannow
hit ENTER

note the 1 space between the "c" & the "/"

Afterwards when you sucessfully install all, if you still have error or warning messages popping up here & there OR if you never have run it, you might want to run chkdsk (check disk) to repair errors. chkdsk resolves a lot of bad activity in Windows.

open "my computer"
RIGHT (I repeat) RIGHT click "C" drive
click "properties"
click "tools" tab
choose option "check for errors"
check both boxes:
1. "automatically fix errors"
2. "scan for & recover bad sectors"
click "start"
displays message "cannot run disk
check because Windows needs
exclusive access to certain files,
blah blah blah & "do you want to
schedule a disk check for next time
you start your computer?"
click "yes" & close everything & do a
normal restart as you normally do.

it will take an hour or more, make sure
you have power if its a laptop, not just
the internal battery. ideally also plugged
into a battery backup if you have one.
you dont want the computer to die from
power failure, OR to turn it off while chkdsk
is running. That may make it unbootable.
when its done it will automatically
reboot.

#8 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

ran chkdsk, I wasn't at the computer when it restarted but I'm guessing there were no errors.
That scannow option mentions I'll need the installation cd... my mom got this machine a few years back from a used computer store, with no disks so that's not an option right now.
I'm just running the .net framework repair thing... Here's what it is going to do as soon as I hit next...

Reregister Windows Installer service
Unregisters and re-registers the Windows Installer service using MsiExec.exe. Applicable regardless of the diagnosis results.

Restart Windows Installer service
Stops and restarts the Windows Installer service. Applicable regardless of the diagnosis results.

Then it said if finished that... asked me to go ahead and try the update again... not looking good so far. yep, no joy... so... now it recommends repairing Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile So, clicking next...

Says it made some changes... will send some logs to microsoft... and, I need to restart... so, will be back in a few and see where I am.

#9 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

...another option you can try in regards to the net framework update failures, that I have used in the past, that I kinda figured out myself, before I stumbled onto the "repair tool" & other Microsoft tools is to, google the "kb" # of the failing update, like "KB??????? install fails", & look in the search results for a "Microsoft Knowlege Base Article" about it, it will usually give you another "KB" # of an update you may not have that prevents you from installing what is failing - if that fails too, google that ("KB??????? install fails") & DL & install it until something works, & reverse work your way back through the installs until they all go. You may have to reinstall a whole .NET Framework version - 1.1 or 2.0 or 3.0 or 3.5 or whatever. And another thing I learned from the Mic. Kno. Base Art's is that, sometimes "add remove programs" shows that you have it (a KBwhatever) installed but it didn't "register with the parent program" as it was worded in the article. It's this method that I learned about the MSI installer issue, by working it "back" & then "foreward". Can be a real PITA but mine is good now...

#10 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

...a couple other things you can at least read about, maybe use
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2010/05/13/10012778.aspx

#11 Dolby

Dolby

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

You don't have to use Windows Update for NET 3.5, SP1. You can download it to your desktop and install from there.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=22, push the Download button at the right.

Louis

#13 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

I just tried it again to see if there was an error reported and it just said something like... the following updates were not installed
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86

no error code was listed there.
So, I went to the windows update page to see what is listed there and see the following:
Error Code: 0x643

The way to get rid of these updates is to go to Add/Remove Programs and attempt to uninstall all versions of .NET Framework. If a version will not uninstall, leave it alone. That means you need that version. Then you go to the link below and run the .NET cleanup tool. That will get rid of the updates. It's up to you if you want to reinstall the various versions of .NET Framework but you may not need them all. It's a program that other applications require to run. So let's say you have uninstalled a program that uses .NET Framework, that version of .NET Framework is an orphan. I did not reinstall any versions of .NET Framework and have had no problems. It's a weird product.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2010/05/13/10012778.aspx

#14 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

Thanks Louis... I tried that, still wouldn't work. error 1603 or something... looked at the logs and each line that showed the error had to do with 2.0 So, I thought maybe I could remove the 2.0 from add/remove programs and reinstall it or whatever I needed to do. Couldn't remove it from there.
"the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable........ click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'netfx2.msi' in the box below..."
So Louis, if you have further into to help me resolve this please let me know... or, if I should just go back to the update and hide it... I'm leaving my mom's house tomorrow and wont be able to mess with it again any time soon. She has a friend that helps her out sometimes so it will be his problem then. :)

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

<<...error 1603 or something...>>

You are not helping us to try to help you...when you fail to provide the exact details of any error message. Error messages are the only way for Windows to try to point us in the right direction...the specifics are important for every one that appears.

Please...go back and try the install from desktop...and write down any error message specifics that appear onscreen...and post such :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users