Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Won't Turn On

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Freezer Boy

Freezer Boy

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

I have a Dell Studio 1558 with windows 7 that I've had for about two years. Just a few days ago I could not get it to turn on. I've tried it with multiple chargers and it still doesn't work. What does happen though is the light on my laptop which indicates it is plugged in is on, which leads to believe that at least it's recognizing that it is connected to power but it just can't turn on. I get absolutely no sound at all when I press the power button and right now I'm thinking my motherboard is shot. I'm not 100% sure of that though which is why I came here so I could have a better idea before I shell out the $100 for a new motherboard.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

If you can get a laptop motherboard for $100 that would be a great price.

Things to try. Strip it down by pulling the drives. Pull the memory, see if it turns on an beeps with no memory.

Try pulling the battery and power cord and press the power on button for 20 seconds, then reconnect the AC adapter only and test.

Dell Studio™ 1557/1558 Service Manual

If that doesn't help, maybe someone else has an idea.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Freezer Boy

Freezer Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

Thank you for the suggestions but unfortunately they did not work. I didn't turn on or beep when I took out the drives and memory and holding the power button didn't do it either.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

Worth a look http://repairing-solution.blogspot.com/
http://www.laptoptips.ca/general/heat-and-dust/

Edited by jhayz, 20 August 2012 - 10:10 PM.

Tekken

#5 Freezer Boy

Freezer Boy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

I looked at the links you posted, the first one didn't seem to apply to my problem and in regards to the second one I'll try cleaning it but do you really think that dust could cause my laptop to start up at all? I've never even had any problems with overheating before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users